Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
The parents of Megan Duskey have filed a lawsuit in Cook County Circuit Court in Chicago against Hilton Worldwide, the Palmer House Hilton, Surreal Chicago, and Adrenaline Y2K, claiming the death of Megan was due to the negligence of the hotel and the companies who hosted the Halloween Ball in 2010.

According to the Sun Times, Megan tried to slide down a railing at the Palmer House Hilton during the ball, but fell four floors to her death. The Cook County Medical Examiner ruled the death an accident. However, the lawsuit says the hotel and hosts were negligent in that they allowed the attendees of the ball to “consume unlimited amounts of alcoholic beverages” and did not provide any security to protect the people at the event.

Megan was 23 when she died, and worked as an elementary school teacher at a school on the South Side. Authorities told the paper that Duskey was dressed as superhero Silver Spectre when she died.

The lawsuit seeks over $500,000 in compensation for the 10 counts brought against the defendants.

Medical Malpractice Law News Brought To You By http://www.haskellaw.com

·
Registered
13,833 Posts
Sorry but if I were on that jury I would hold a 23-year old, school teacher no less, 100% accountable for her acts. I would also wonder if her parents had taught her better. This was just stupid behavior IMO. Sorry they lost their daughter, but have to wonder if they aren't just trying to blame someone else for her reckless behavior. It certainly doesn't sound like their daughter was leaning against a railing and it broke sending her to her death, from the article it sounds like the drinking? by her and her reckless behavior were the cause.

·
Registered
680 Posts
BRINGING suit and WINNING said suit are two seperate things.

According to the Sun Times, Megan tried to slide down a railing at the Palmer House Hilton during the ball, but fell four floors to her death. The Cook County Medical Examiner ruled the death an accident. However, the lawsuit says the hotel and hosts were negligent in that they allowed the attendees of the ball to “consume unlimited amounts of alcoholic beverages” and did not provide any security to protect the people at the event.
This was a 23 year old girl, not a minor. She was responsible for her own actions. Someone [read: parents] is looking for a hefty cash payout. I'd say they have little chance of winning this suit.

I hate how everything is always everyone else's fault, no one takes responsibility for their bad choices; we are all supposed to go through life with two bodyguards, one on each side, to protect us from harm. THAT IS NOT HOW LIFE WORKS. I have a funny feeling the jury will agree; meanwhile if this type of thing keeps up we are all going to be locked in our own residences permanently. For our own safety, y'know!

*MAJOR DISGUST*

·
Registered
378 Posts
My favorite frivilous lawsuit to talk about is a case against Walmart in the state of Florida.

A mother bought some pool diving sticks (clearly labeled with age restrictions) for her Son. He played in a little pool one day while his Grama watched him. When he slid down a slide a diving stick impaled his rectum. He was seriously injured inside.

Mom brought a lawsuit naming Walmart ($$$$) and the also the company that manufactured the sticks.

Jury came back in favor of the plantiff's with percentages of responsibility. I can't recall exact #'s. But it was something like 80% gramas fault, 10% Mom, 5% for both Walmart and the manufacturer.

Grama was watching him and she let him play with something that was for older children. Mom bought something that he wasn't old enough to play with.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This is ridiculous.... I agree She was responsible for her own actions, and why do people think they are entitled to money when someone dies, I am sorry for there loss but It's, not the hotels fault.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
This is ridiculous.... I agree She was responsible for her own actions, and why do people think they are entitled to money when someone dies, I am sorry for there loss but It's, not the hotels fault.
Why??? Simple, because people continue to receive large payouts for crap like this...oh yeah, and lawyers are involved

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
It certainly doesn't sound like their daughter was leaning against a railing and it broke sending her to her death, from the article it sounds like the drinking? by her and her reckless behavior were the cause.
Similarly, one of my ex-friends got in with the wrong crowd and decided to go sliding down the bannister in high school; he ended up falling quite a distance and injured himself badly (he's lucky that he didn't die), having to do lots of rehabilitation therapy to be able to function again. Granted, this was in the '90s, but his mother didn't even attempt to blame anyone else, which is how it should be. Now, no one wants to be held accountable for their actions, always finding ways to twist things around to somehow be the fault of others. Personal accountability is long gone, as is any semblance of common sense, it seems...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts