Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw that site too...But if they drop ship, we're SOL. They may not be aware yet that Parallax has discontinued these. Damn. What a shame. This puts a SERIOUS damper on those that want to animate servo controled props if they only have a USB port.

Also, if they are coming out with a new design, why discontinue before introducing it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I didn't think of the drop-ship aspect. And it does seem odd that they would drop the product since USB is the standard I/O port. There haven't been many PC's in the last 5 years that have a native serial port on it.
Of course you can always add a USB-to-serial adapter. I've seen them for less than $6 at monoprice USB to Serial Convert Cable - 3FT .

Mark

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, but I have heard people are having problems using those with the SSC 32's. Is there anybody that has used one of those adapters without any problems?

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
The Pololu board is very good and about 1/3 of the size of the PSC.

USB-serial converters haev always been dodgy, I carry 3 versions of these plus a PCMCIA-serial converter because different devices tend to prefer different converters (and I mean industrial devices).

You may want to look at the latest BoC offer, $90 for board only.

·
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IF I had to choose between 80 bucks for a Pololu and a BOC for just 10 bucks more, I'd for sure get a BoC, just so I could upgrade to DMX.

G

·
0 Posts
fyi...

"Whats up with the USB Servo Controller being discontinued?"

The chip used on that product was discontinued by the manufacturer. We are making a replacement using our Propeller chip and should have the new product available by April.

Best regards,
Jim Carey
Parallax Inc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts