Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine brought me one of these. As soon as I have time, I want to try it out as a prop trigger. Seems to pick up well. Has anyone used these ? If so, how ? they are very cool and the small size would be great for hiding in props.

Apparently Radio Shack is selling them now.

PIR Sensor

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
I looked at using that sensor for to trigger a Pico Boo 105 controller. I didn't go with it because it was not rated for 12 V DC power which the Pico Boo provides. So I bought a similar sensor this year from PIR Sensors (scroll down the page about half way) . they look very similar

The sensor will not trigger the controller by its self nor will it energize a 3vdc relay coil.

I was able to get it to work but had to use this to trip a dry relay. http://simplecircuitboards.com/Spec Sheets/TTL Relay Board 10A-V1 - Spec.pdf

The two worked great together and mounted easily in a small project box. I added a 3" pvc pipe "snout" to focus the sensor.

I think this is the same circuit as the one used in the relay board but I didn't have the time to experiment with it. Conver TTL into Relay - Digital I/O - NI Discussion Forums (scroll down to second entry )

The futurelec sensor has an adjustable time delay so you can set the amount of time the output signal stays on.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at using that sensor for to trigger a Pico Boo 105 controller. I didn't go with it because it was not rated for 12 V DC power which the Pico Boo provides. So I bought a similar sensor this year from PIR Sensors (scroll down the page about half way) . they look very similar

The sensor will not trigger the controller by its self nor will it energize a 3vdc relay coil.

I was able to get it to work but had to use this to trip a dry relay. http://simplecircuitboards.com/Spec Sheets/TTL Relay Board 10A-V1 - Spec.pdf

The two worked great together and mounted easily in a small project box. I added a 3" pvc pipe "snout" to focus the sensor.

I think this is the same circuit as the one used in the relay board but I didn't have the time to experiment with it. Conver TTL into Relay - Digital I/O - NI Discussion Forums (scroll down to second entry )

The futurelec sensor has an adjustable time delay so you can set the amount of time the output signal stays on.

thanks,

I have actually already talked to Jeff at Simple Circuit Boards about these. Supposedly, you can power the motion right off of the trigger contacts of any of his programmable relay boards by connecting the motion's + to the relay's trigger terminal that yields +5 V to the board's ground terminal, connecting the motion's ground to the relay board's ground, and the output lead to the second side of the relay's trigger.

This same setup is supposed to work on the trigger of a cowlacious ISD board, but I haven't had time to test it out myself. Maybe this weekend if I have time.

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Let us know how it works. I've got a cow board and may give it a try.

The only thing I know is the ones I bought would not active the Pico Boo 105, The Trigger LED would light but the program would not run.

It would be nice to have a list of devices they work with and any notes on connections.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am not sure why you would go through the hassle when you can get a Comet PIR for 5 bucks at alarm stores. I use them on my 104, 105 and 108 without a problem and they have a case.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not sure why you would go through the hassle when you can get a Comet PIR for 5 bucks at alarm stores. I use them on my 104, 105 and 108 without a problem and they have a case.
How are you connecting these to your trigger inputs ? From what I can see, these motions only provide a NC set of contacts..... :confused:

I was interested in the Parallax mainly due to their size. I was interested in something that could be incorporated into a prop (or figure) making the prop totally self contained. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can show you how to wire for a picoboo box which is either NO or NC, you just need to push the right button on power up. I have about 12 Parallax, don’t use, just want things simple for pneumatic devices. I will be using one for a gravedigger that has a large routine.
If you are going to self contain them you need to remember your prop is going to be moving and deal with those factors that will create... such as limited positioning of your prop and timing. Also you will need to still create a blinder with the Parallax with something like a 3” PVC cap else it will go off when you don’t want it to.
I like the pico boo's because I can sit by my prop and make all changes I need in real-time. The Gilderflukes have a lot of power but I am not a fan of having to program them. HauntMasters seem to have better sound than the PicoBoos but the cost is high.
So for about 60 bucks you can get a controller with sound. I know as a home Haunter we tend to lean towards the cheap ways that usually end up costing us way more. The Parallax system is awesome but far from easy.
If you want me to post the pics for wiring a pico boo to a Comet I will (Will take you 5 minutes to wire)…. But I won’t unless you request since I don’t want to hijack.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks, I guess it depends what device you plan on triggering. I've been using boards from simplecircuitboards.com for my props and you can hook up and power the parallax right off of the controller.

I actually work for an alarm company and most of the motions I use have NO and NC options. Unless you have a trigger option on your controller to go from a high to low input, I wasn't sure how'd you'd manage to trigger most other devices having only NC contacts as most devices either want a dry trigger or a high input. I've never used any of the Pico Boo controllers yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sweet can you get us some deals;) You can power off the picoboo and you are absolutely correct. I just run the 3 or 4 shielded alarm wire to the PIR and move it around until I get the right timing. I am sure you are a thousand times smarter than me on the tech end. Thats why I need to keep it simple.

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Yep tounge is correct on the Pico Boo you can change the input setting to read NO or NC contacts by pushing the buttons in the proper sequence as described in the users guide.

$10 is a good deal for a sensor, I bought the futurlec because it was cheap $7 and was hoping it would trigger the Pico Boo by itself. It didn't. However it was an experiment that allowed me to learn a little more about electronics which is something I know little about.

The pico boo is my fanciest controller next to the computer/VSA set up. However its very easy to use and as tounge said you can program in real time if you want.

I've been looking at the RAPU's from VSA but 1. there more expensive 2. It doesn't look like they can be triggered by a sensor. Are there any other similar devices?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts