Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a medium that I haaven't played with since I was a kid. but I want to put several skull faces on the sides of a monument (I have a big Urn for the top) so I decided to pull out the flour , starch salt and water and see what I could make happen!

So far so good. I used a diamond cut paper shredder to produce something somewhere in between strips and clay. it seems to be working out well. I covered the faces of 2 of my skulls with aluminum foil and began to apply the goop.

they are still drying but here is the first two

I actually used old shredded credit card offers and junk mail for these two. The heavier paper is giving me a grainy texture to the surface, and since I mean to Monster mud over these to make them look like carved stone, all to the better!

·
Registered
18 Posts
That is a fabulous! Your skulls are turning out great.

My first foray using papier mache a couple of years ago was a big mess! I forgot the salt and ended up with big sloggy masses of mold inside of the witches heads I was trying to make!

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The following 4 skull faces i did with newsprint, they are the ones which will be used on the monument the first two have been sealed and will be placed in graves as if they were trying to break free. pictures to follow soon!

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh for those interested I used 4 cups hot water, 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup corn starch. 1/4 cup vinegar, and 2 tbs of salt. add shredded newsprint until it is a thick paste. the result is a very ridged papeir mache.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts