Halloween Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
WAY COOL prop. He's like, what, 10' tall?

I might need to do one for our set-up. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yep, Wolfman, he stood right at 10 feet, maybe a tad over.

....just tall enough that I got scared getting to the top of him, chickened out, and decided that no painting needed to be done up there, HAHA. But, the sheer size of him really got attention from the street.

I'm glad Jaybo isn't afraid of heights!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Monster mud is super easy to work with... like playing in the mud when you were a kid... as for the recipe, some people say 5 parts joint compound to 1 part paint, some say half and half.... I just kinda mix it to the consistency that I like and go from there.

For this prop, Jaybo actually draped the fabric the way he wanted it, then monster mudded on the prop itself... kinda had to do it that way because of the height - you cant be on a 12 foot ladder getting the perfect drape with heavy, dripping cloth!

I personally think he was having TOO much fun, haha

(At least the Cowboys LOST big time, so we didn't cry over the lost shirt!!) :D

Other people will dip the fabric in the mud, squeeze off excess like papier mache paste, and place on the object. Either works well.

I found myself using MM on just about anything that didn't run away from me... from my zombie hair (twine) to styrofoam graves (for texture and added strength)... its just awesome stuff. Keeps for a really long time too, so you don't have to worry about that!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Awesome, awesome prop...great idea, I think I'll have to borrow (i.e. steal) that idea this year. Very cool, and monster mud is tons of fun to work with...MM and papier mache work well together, you can even add MM to a mache prop while it is still wet...MM and papier mache are like close cousins..both very similar but different.

Very cool prop...congrats!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
What a great looking prop. The hands add alot to the creep factor. Wish my husband was into prop making. I showed him the picture and he said if it doesn't come apart for easy storage forget it. Old poop.

·
Registered
326 Posts
ok thanks! also...um where do you store a 10 ft tall jack-o-reaper?
That was the one HUGE downfall of this creature. :( He was too large for us to store anywhere. I originally planned to lift him up and lay him on his side, but I couldn't even lift him. I would have needed a cherry picker to pick him up.

I had to destroy the prop, but I kept the frame and the pumpkin. So, he will be back better than ever. Besides, it's a lot of fun playing with Monster Mud!

I need every excuse I can get to play in the mud these days.

·
Registered
457 Posts
OMG! its gone?!?! I would have cried! seriously fantastic prop, it would have broken my heart to destroy it.
BTW... I have a 'Bo' too.. hubby's name is Timbo ;) lol

·
Registered
326 Posts
What a great looking prop. The hands add alot to the creep factor. Wish my husband was into prop making. I showed him the picture and he said if it doesn't come apart for easy storage forget it. Old poop.
Don't let that stop you! Seriously, once the pumpkin head and frame were built, it was super easy to build. That's the only reason I was ok with pulling it back down. I kept the chickenwire and even the old burlap. All of the material can be reused. The hands were modular and pulled right out of the frame ready for another prop if needed. Check out my blog for a little more info on him at Nickols Manor.

I tinted my Monster Mud a light brown color to match the burlap and didn't even need to dry brush afterward. The lighter color on the prop makes it really stand out at night under spotlights.

It only took me a couple of hours to apply the mud. Not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Somehow "Paper Mache Pumpkin on a Stick" seems to be a distinct understatement for your amazing ghoulie :D (I realize that's what he is at the basic level, but still;)). As everyone else has said, this is one very impressive prop!

When I saw this:
I couldn't help but think: "don't you hate it when that hug-obsessed relative stops by for a visit?" Maybe that only makes sense to people like me who had one of those 'touchy-feely' relatives who always managed to hug you where you were terribly ticklish, or pinch your face (ah, the scars of my youth;)).

It's nice to know he'll live on, returning next year like some wonderfully monstrous 'Frosty the Snowman.'

·
Scarhead Brain Tumor Guy
946 Posts
Very impressive prop! You're absolutely right, size is everything when it comes to props and Tots. I built an 18' Jack Skellington about five years ago and no matter how animated, expensive or technologically advanced I get, everyone still points to Jack as the favorite.
That POAS is/was pretty cool though, any redesigns in the works?

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove it!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Very impressive prop! You're absolutely right, size is everything when it comes to props and Tots. I built an 18' Jack Skellington about five years ago and no matter how animated, expensive or technologically advanced I get, everyone still points to Jack as the favorite.
That POAS is/was pretty cool though, any redesigns in the works?
Yes, Jack will be back this year. I haven't decided exactly what I will do different, so I'm open to any suggestions anyone can offer. I'll probably work on a mobile base and a hoist to get him in and out of my back yard. I would love to go even bigger!

Dixie and I both are working on more pumpkins, so I might make a bigger brother for Jack. :)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts