Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on a street with a lot of giant Chestnut trees. They are already pretty scary but I thought I could push it a little so I made a mold of the trunk of the tree in front of our house and built a big scary face for it. I had to do the painting after the mask was tied on to try to match the colours of the tree as best as I could. I keep meaning to do this as a neighbourhood workshop every year but then I get busy making costumes....I think it would be great to have ALL the trees on our street costumed one year though...I was able to use the mask for a few years until I forgot it in the rain and it got a bit smelly....oh well. Maybe I will get more inspired to do the workshop.
https://picasaweb.google.com/107456746248882105950/ScaryTree?authuser=0&feat=directlink

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks- It sure was fun to do. I just used wax paper (very loosely) against the tree, tacked some chicken wire over that and then used spray foam insulation to make the mold...It worked very well! Then I took it off and made chicken wire tusks, crumpled paper lips and teeth and then paper mache-ed over the whole thing. I used newsprint strips coated with flour,water and white glue. Then I put the mask up on the tree and painted it with dollar store tempera paint...I think the whole thing cost less than 15$...including the 2 flashlights and batteries I stuck in the ground to light up the tree...

·
Reanimater of Souls
650 Posts
Really great job! I love the idea. Now I am hoping we will have good trees where we move to this summer...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts