Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled across these amazing newspaper sculptures by a very talented artist - Will Kurtz. To simply call it paper mache is an insult. Even though his subject matter is very “ordinary”, that is to say everyday people doing everyday things, it has an unusual macabre feel to it. Maybe I’m just a bit odd but I systematically relate it to characters form the House of Wax movies (1953 / 2005).

art.jpg

Sculpture by Will Kurtz

art01.jpg

Sculpture by Will Kurtz

art02.jpg

House of Wax (2005 by Village Roadshow Pictures and Dark Castle Entertainment)

art03.jpg

The immortal Vincent Price in House of Wax (1953 by Warner Brother Pictures)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Are you sure they didn't just paper mache over a real person?

I really like that you can see that it is newspaper etc. They don't hide what the medium is.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure they didn't just paper mache over a real person?

I really like that you can see that it is newspaper etc. They don't hide what the medium is.
Nope he doesn't use "body casting" that's whats so amazing. This is an excerpt about his process "After taking photos, I make a wood and wire armature that has the whole feeling of the piece, but is only a stick figure. I then build up the figure with newspaper and tape. For the human figures I make them naked and then make the clothes out of newspaper. I leave nothing undone. I make everything from eyeballs to eyelids to the soles of the shoes. I then apply the collage with a hot glue gun from my bins full of different images. I decided to use only collage and no paint. I like the purity and honesty of only using newspaper. At a certain point while making them, they seem to come alive and have a life of their own." Just image how much fun a family of rats would have in his studio...

·
Registered
974 Posts
^I actually meant that he leaves the person inside the paper mache forever. It would be a great way of getting rid of a body (until it started to decay and ooze obviously).

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
I can't imagine how long it takes him to do this.

Also, this totally reminds me of Bucket of Blood too!! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts