Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about these types of items but, know someone on these forums will know. Saw this at an antique shop today and was wondering how overpriced is it or is it a fair price? It was in top shape with no damage seen and the colors were strong and bright. Also what decade would you say it's from, 60s, 70s, 80s it didn't look very old? Any help would be appreciated. Not sure if you can read the card but it says

$125 Very rare original paper pumpkin Jack-O-Lateran these had a candle in them so most were damaged or destroyed. This is the first one I've ever had.

paper pumpkin.jpg

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply jdubbya I didn't realize it was that old. Like you said the one I saw in the shop looked almost new so it's in a heck of a lot better shape than the one on EBay and they want $35 for it. May be worth talking to the owner and see what the best price I can get it for. Again thanks for the help I tried Ebay but didn't really know what to type into the search engine.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
It seems it's in very good shape and not something you find every day so I'd see if the seller would be willing to negotiate. I've dealt with many antique shops over the years and generally the seller will knock off 10% or more if you ask.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Lizzy I think I will see what kind of deal I can work out. If I don't get it maybe some of the Utah members on the forums might want it? I'll post what happens this week because the shop is closed on Sunday and if I don't get it Ill post the where for the Utah members who may be interested.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,482 Posts
I'd move very carefully on this since it would be easy for it to be a reproduction. Ask where the dealer got it from, examine for signs of realistic wear/tear and usage.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This item looks really nice and I think it may be worth the money but I just can't drop the hammer on it so soon after Christmas. If anyone in the Ogden Utah area may be interested it can be found at the "The Estate Sale Antique Mall" on Harrison Blvd. The man I talked to dropped the price to $110 by me just asking once so I think you may be able to talk them/him down to at least $100 and probably lower...good luck.

pumpkin1.jpg

pumpkin2.jpg

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I suspect he'll go a lot lower than that. Not many lists of names shorter than the one for people wanting to pay top dollar for a beat up paper jack-o-lantern. There's maybe one in a 100,000 people who would be interested in it, and one in a million who would pay serious money for it, and getting that one to come to your shop would be a miracle. It might well be valued at $125, but it's only worth what someone entering the shop is willing to pay.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suspect he'll go a lot lower than that. Not many lists of names shorter than the one for people wanting to pay top dollar for a beat up paper jack-o-lantern. There's maybe one in a 100,000 people who would be interested in it, and one in a million who would pay serious money for it, and getting that one to come to your shop would be a miracle. It might well be valued at $125, but it's only worth what someone entering the shop is willing to pay.
Didn't think about it that way and you do bring-up good points. Utah does have a larger proportion of Halloween fanatics than some states and I would love to have it. I think I'll wait a month or so and stop back by and see if it's still there and maybe make an offer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts