Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm starting to think about making a mummy out of paper mache. However, I never have worked with paper mache before. Can anyone tell me if it is dificult to work with, or is it more of a fine art? I have seen some pictures on here and they look amazing. But I'd like to try my hand at it if it's not all that hard.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Just like any other artistic medium, practice will improve your creations.

I have only done a little with paper mache, and it's an interesting medium to work with - for me, it takes on a bit of a life of it's own...creasing, folding, tearing...
About the only thing I can really say: you need to give it a try. If it's just not something you want to pursue, at least you'll know why.

As everyone will recommend, check out Stolloween's site ( STOLLOWEEN ) - incredible pieces, and fantastic advice.
Also, if you haven't already, check out Pumpkinrot ( PUMPKINROT.COM ) - great inspiration from a true Halloween artist.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Hey Joe.
Papier mache is a very versatile medium, It has many applications and there is really no right or wrong way to use it. In the same way, there are no hard and fast recipes for making your PM. There are many different types and each one may be used to achieve a different result or effect. As Ugly Joe says, it's a very interesting medium to work with, and practice makes perfect.
It's well worth experimenting with..after all, it's cheap to make.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the results, and there are plenty of us here to help you with any advice you may need along the way.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
wow, those two sites are amazing. looks like paper mache would be a fine art. looks like maybe kind of hard.
Not hard, exactly...but your first few efforts with paper mache will likely look far less "convincing" than what these guys do - like I said, it takes on a life of it's own, and the more you work with it, the more you can get a feel for what's going to look good, and what doesn't.

For myself? I need to work with it a lot more - I'm better than I used to be, but not even close to what I want...and not ANYWHERE in the ball park of these guys!!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
For myself? I need to work with it a lot more - I'm better than I used to be, but not even close to what I want...and not ANYWHERE in the ball park of these guys!!
Very few, if any, are in these guys league. But don't let that put you off...
Even Stolloween and Pumpkinrot had to start somewhere...:)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hey HauntingJoe.

I just started working with paper mache this year, and so far, so good. I don't find that it's hard to work with, it just takes a lot of newspaper and patience (waiting for it to dry) and LAYERS (to make a long lasting prop).

The other important factor in creating paper mache things, is having a good amature/base. I find new things everyday that can be made into an amature for paper mache creations. That part, takes some creativity, tape and hot glue =) But the great thing, is that you can make an amature out of just about anything that you have around the house.

Check out the Stolloween site that Ugly Joe gave you the link for. He has a lot of great advice and instructions on how to make amatures and the paper mache. Also, if you have any questions about his stuff or want his advice on prop building, you can email him =) He's a really nice and helpful guy and doesn't mind sharing his secrets to paper mache =) He's a memeber on this forum too. =)

Best of luck, can't wait to see your creations!

·
Super Moderator
5,663 Posts
The biggest thing is to start playing with it.

Find a glue recipe you like, and try out different kinds of paper to get a feel.

My own recipe evolved over 5 years, and I'm still toying with my paper clay recipe. I'ld have little tests of differing recipes going in the garage.

Personall, I find the glue and water recipes do tend to "take a life of their own" more than the flour and water based recipes.

Haven't tried the wallpaper paste based ones, that are also popular.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I will start this project in a few weeks. ( I'm working on another project at the moment ) I guess I'll just have to jump in there and try my hand at it.

Thanks for the web sites ugly joe. This will be a great help once I start.

Joe

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
I'm going to try and make a Haunted Tree I think. I'v herd it's best to use paper mache so I'll give it a try. I'm not very artistic at all but it seems fun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yup, good advice to try something simple that way you will see how papier mache works and after the piece is dry you can feel the strength and durability.

Like any medium it takes some practice but mache has a pretty quick learning curve and once you understand the basics you quickly see the possibilities.

Good luck with your project!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts