Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to add some to my pirates this year and I found inspiration in the "Skull Rock" post by Defenestrator. I followed a similar process...stacked cardboard boxes, then added shape using crumbled up newspaper held in place by masking tape. I paper-mached over that and then painted it! Not much else to it...pretty easy, just time-consuming. :)
IMG_7557.jpg
IMG_7556.jpg
IMG_7558.jpg
IMG_7584.jpg
IMG_7585.jpg
IMG_7589.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've heard the large props are the scariest for kids- that will be an awesome addition to your scene! And thanks for the step-by-step- makes it seem like anyone can do it with patience and time.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,076 Posts
I disagree with my teammates above - It still takes quite a bit artistry to get it to look like a skull, the sides, the teeth etc. You have to know what you are doing. Look at some the paper mache attempts (incl my own!) to try to copy some great halloween artists' pumpkins! Not so good.
Amazing job there gothsfgirl! You have great talent!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
"Happy Artistic Accidents" are the happiest when trying to create Halloween "Art", because proportions not quite "right" make things weirder . Sometimes I see other people's efforts and wish I had done or thought of "that".
Abstract art scares some people, sometimes on various levels of perception maybe involving scary dreams, odd unusual concepts or visions common or unshared and very personal.
I made a mildly "scary" monster aimed at small children and it did seem to hit the target. It was such a simple design that I think it thereby had much more appeal and made them notice it more.
Designing from what might be their point of view and what they would come up with , it was just a half-round "Lump" with one eye in the middle, a very small mouth under the eye and it was all Pink.
This was welded together using re-bar, covered with canvas and mounted on the lower peek of the roof of the house. It probably measures 12 feet across the bottom and is 10 feet high. Since it was on the roof, I mounted it on a huge hinge I welded up so it could move in a strong wind , rather than getting ripped from the roof.
The painted canvas rotted completely away two years ago, but re-doing this will be "just like Work", since the first time it was on the ground and I hand-stiched the canvas to the re-bar frame. (It took a long time and was very hard on my fingers!)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I love this. I think if I were to try and make it, my husband would leave me, though. He's into Halloween, but he's not into me taking up 1/2 of our house with items atm.. lol.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
That looks fantastic! I would attempt it except for two things... complete lack of talent in that art form and no storage space. :(

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
"Happy Artistic Accidents" are the happiest when trying to create Halloween "Art", because proportions not quite "right" make things weirder . Sometimes I see other people's efforts and wish I had done or thought of "that".
Abstract art scares some people, sometimes on various levels of perception maybe involving scary dreams, odd unusual concepts or visions common or unshared and very personal.
I've said this same thing. An elongated neck, an oversized mouth, one pupile blown, fingers with extra joints, or extra fingers, things like that are just a bit "off" from the norm are sometimes more frightening than a Freddy or Jason.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
23 Participants
bobzilla
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing