Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my project this weekend. I just need to paint them. The pumpkin in the middle was the form that I used. I covered it with tin foil, then tape and did a coat of newspaper. When that dried I used a knife to free the original pumpkin and used another coat of paper mache to seal the seams. The last coat is brown paper lunch bags, which will give it a nice clean base before I paint.

·
Good Ghoul Gone Bad
747 Posts
I too like the smoothness. I'm working on a papier mache pumpkin right now and it looks like....well, not like a pumpkin. You did a nice job - post another pic when they are painted!

·
Registered
666 Posts
those will make excellent scarecrow toppers make sure to post pics when you're done please. I'm loving them :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No kidding! I bow to the master. Very cool with the protruding face features. That's something to think about for next year. The paint is drying people, I swear. Maybe a new pic tomorrow.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Yeah, really, this guy's stuff looks like it came out of Hollywood, just amazing. Don't be deterred, though, his work shows what is possible using that medium.

2,442 Posts
Amazing Work

I love his work I found his site last year, I wish I was that talented. I wanna go and trick or treat at his house to see his yard display. the trouble is, I'm in the UK and at almost 35.. I think I'm way past the trick or treating age limit!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Halloween sucks in the UK: I like it... it seems like it has a personality....:eek: :)

Did you use a mache that was like pulp, and what was the mold you used?

You both have inspired me to try one! What's one more project? ;)

2,442 Posts
skelly I used one of those big punchbag balloons kids play with, not sure what you call those in the U.S. basically those annoying balloons that can be filled with rice to make noises when kids punch them.

I just used watered down pva glue and layer upon layer of newspaper strips over the balloon, once dried I stuck a pin in and popped the balloon.

For the eye area I used cardboard slats slipped into the eye hole and hot glued into place it , make the eye area protrude more. Then cpver up any cardboard with a paper mache layer.

When it was all fully dried I just pained it with acrylic paints in pumpkin shade then did some shading with a dry brush using brown and green acrylic paint. Inside I used black spray paint, jetting it around through the eye and mouth holes any dribbles on that managed to get on the outside just got covered back up with the pumpkin paint.

In the eye hole area I used black acrylic paint and around the inner edges of the teeth where the spray paint had missed.

Oh and I just used twisted up tin foil for the stalk and my trusty hot glue gun, then paper mached over the stalk and covering the base of the stalk where I'd attached it to the pumpkin to cover any seams.

I also made the layers thicker in area's around the pumpkin to make it look more pumpkin shaped in the body.

Then finally when all the paint had dried. I gave it a spray with some Plasti-kote Spray Clear Acrylic, which made it nice and rock hard.

:)

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
halloween sucks in uk - AWESOME JOB!!

spooky little girl - yours is AMAZING too!!!

I have bought the glue...and have newspapers saved...just afraid to start one for some reason! AFraid mine will just suck! *sigh* I may get up the nerve this weekend.

spooky - love your tag line - look at my pic! I love RHPS!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I think the pumpkins here look great!

BevAnn - I just did my 1st paper mache project a few days ago. Ghostess made some paper mache witches hats for her kitchen & I loved them. I too was nervous about doing something like that cause I'm not artistic at all. Everything went fine. The shape of the 1st hat was not to good but by the time I was on the 3rd one I had it figured out.

I just mixed 2 parts glue to one part water & they came out great. I still have more layering to do but they should be done by next week.

I agree about Stolloween the guy is a master at what he does. I was reading over his "Basics" section on paper mache & its great how detailed his explaining is.

Muf

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks for the help Halloween sucks in the UK!

I was about to ask how you made the stem...tin foil....great idea!
Also, that's very clever how you did the eyes...I like it alot.

BevAnn-LMAO! You coulda took those words right out of my mouth! That's exactly how I was feeling.

This is why I love this forum... it's full of encouragment and help.
I'm gonna make a pumpkin this weekend without fail!! :D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts