Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long will these last INDOORS? I want to have several of these this year and I am wondering how soon can I start making them and storing them inside.

Thanks.
Kaye

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Until someone sits on them...

In all seriousness, paper-mache will last indefinitely, as long as it's not subject to moisture.
Speaking of that - if you seal them well, they'll last outdoors for a good long time as well.

Crushing, however, is a pretty quick death for mache...so, no sitting on them. Not even the cat.

edited to clarify: I mean, the cat sitting on the mache...not you on the cat. That's an entirely different kind of situation.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Do you mean actual pumpkins covered with mache, or pumpkin heads made from mache "a la Stolloween"?

·
Registered
129 Posts
How long will these last INDOORS? I want to have several of these this year and I am wondering how soon can I start making them and storing them inside.
Mom, like Joe said...moisture is evil to mache. As long as you don't have a high humidity problem in the house then unsealed mache will be ok for long periods. But...if you do have a high humidity problem and/or plan on putting them outside at Halloween, you should go ahead and seal them while your making them.

Once sealed they should last indefinitely indoors. Surviving outdoors, once sealed, all depends on what they are sealed with, etc.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Believe it or not, I've been making some cat furniture
I tried making cat furniture a few times, but the pieces are hard to nail, the fur kept falling off and they smelled after awhile...;)

Note: This was a typical lame attempt at humor by me. My wife and I are cat lovers and have two happy and healthy cats at home. No cats were harmed in the attempt at humor. :D

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I have some skulls, corpsed with mache, that are still good several years down the line..

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mom, like Joe said...moisture is evil to mache. As long as you don't have a high humidity problem in the house then unsealed mache will be ok for long periods. But...if you do have a high humidity problem and/or plan on putting them outside at Halloween, you should go ahead and seal them while your making them.

Once sealed they should last indefinitely indoors. Surviving outdoors, once sealed, all depends on what they are sealed with, etc.
What's the best thing to seal them with?

TIA
Kaye

·
Registered
129 Posts
Depends on your preference and school of thought. Most use Polyurethane, spar varnish, marine varnish. Some use oil based while others use only water based and use several different coats.

Stolloween has some tips you can find here

This is a good article to read to see the differences between the different types of sealers.

You can also do a search here on the forum...it has been discussed several times. Here are the results from the keywords waterproofing paper mache

If you do a search don't forget to use the variants on spelling for paper...which is papier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts