Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time in years, I made some paper-mache jack-o-lanterns using balloons and the old-fashioned flour-and-water glue. When I made them as a kid, they were actual pinatas, but I didn't cut anything out to make them fillable, and also they were just for looks, so I didn't make the layers as thick as I would have otherwise. Anyway, I was almost done with the second before I realized the tricks to covering rounded surfaces with orange tissue paper: triangle shapes! Plus some strips that are longish but skinny enough to curve with the curvature. This is probably obvious to everyone else, but it wasn't to me, alas. Still, I'm proud when I'm crafty at all!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,607 Posts
I do my Halloween Tree with Dollar Tree paper lanterns. I usually clear out a store of all their JOL lanterns every couple of years. I buy the AAA batteries on sale during the year & spend 30 minutes putting them together & hanging them. I just leave the batteries in & when the lantern craps out, either it gets torn or the support inside breaks, I take it apart & reuse the LED light in pumpkins.

But honestly, a few paper mache ones attached to a light string or even with individual battery tea lights sounds much easier except for the storage part. I currently store the paper lanterns in ziploc bags, 5 to a bag. I've currently got 40-50 & they store pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I do my Halloween Tree with Dollar Tree paper lanterns. I usually clear out a store of all their JOL lanterns every couple of years. I buy the AAA batteries on sale during the year & spend 30 minutes putting them together & hanging them. I just leave the batteries in & when the lantern craps out, either it gets torn or the support inside breaks, I take it apart & reuse the LED light in pumpkins.

But honestly, a few paper mache ones attached to a light string or even with individual battery tea lights sounds much easier except for the storage part. I currently store the paper lanterns in ziploc bags, 5 to a bag. I've currently got 40-50 & they store pretty easily.
Our Dollar Tree doesn't seem to get these in. :(

I'm thinking I could make them, various sizes.... with maybe only 5 large-ish ones. Perhaps 5 of each size. .. L, M, S. That would be 15 total for the tree, plus string lights. I think it would look amazing.

And if we do go with the carnival theme, I could perhaps add strung flag banners too.

Hmmmmmm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts