Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am determined to start my first groundbreaker this weekend. I want to try making it out of pvc pipe and newspapers. I've seen the instructions somewhere but now I can't find it. Basically you roll or fold the newspapers and attach them to the pipe to make the ribs, etc. then you paper mache over it. HELP. Does anyone remember where the instructions are for this?

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I don't know about a formal instruction per se, but maybe this will help. Use a 12" X 12" piece of plywood or fiberboard for the base. For the spine, I nail a length of 1" X 2" furring strip (wood) to the center of one edge so it sticks straight up. Tightly roll/twist some newspaper, using shipping tape to keep it twisted. These will be the ribs. I used a staple gun to attach them to the furring strip. Bend them into a rib cage shape and tape them together at the sternum. I used a thicker paper roll for the shoulders. Here's a pic to show you what I mean.

HalloweenGallery.com - Halloween 2007/DSC03563ss

After that, start applying the mache. I start with paper towel strips dipped in a 50/50 water and white glue mix. I usually use thick napkins to finish the "skin" - you can make lots of interesting wrinkles with that stuff, and it dries hard and rigid.
I used a plastic skull model for the head. Wrap the skull in foil then apply a few layers of paper towels/glue mix. When dry, cut it up the back to remove it from the model. Close the slit with tape and more mache. Attach the skull in the appropriate place and apply mache as you see fit.
On the groundbreaker in the pic, I used a gel wood stain as the base coat and dripped diluted black acrylic paint into the creases in the skin to give more definition. Have fun!

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I just can't wait to start some of these projects! I've got two weeks of "house stuff" I need to get through before the wife will release me from the Honey Do list. Then it's prop buildin' time!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I love both Spooky Blue and Stolloween. I did a few of Blue's last year and I've got a whole bunch of Stolloween's projects to start on as soon as I finish the quilt I'm making.

·
Registered
619 Posts
QUILTS! I didn't think my monsters would get cold. Maybe I should start one.
Haahaaaa! I'm very handy with needle and thread too! Actually, this is a double wedding ring quilt as a wedding gift for my brother in law. He's pretty well off and can buy whatever he needs so I figured a hand made quilt would be treasured more.

I make Halloween and Reniassance costumes too! Comes in handy. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts