Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I made my first bach of paper mache clay. It turned out nicely and will be used to scuplit ridges on my pumpkin scarecrow. Thank you UltimatePaperMache for the recipe.:D

Here's what you'll need:

1 cup of spackling compund (or joint compound)
2 rolls of cheap toilet paper
1 cup of flour (approx)
1 tablespoon of bleach or salt
1 cup of elmers glue
and an electric mixer

First, fill a little bit of a large bowl with warm water just enough to soak the T.P

Second, soak the toliet paper in the water try to absorb most of your water with toliet paper. pull apart the t.p. into chunks.

Next, ring out the toliet paper to get the water out

Then add a cup of elmers.

Fifth, add a cup of joint compound

Then add a tablespoon of bleach or salt

Mix with the elcetric mixer.

Then add a cup of flour and mix

wallah!

store in a air tight container so it won't dry out!

Good Luck!!! Thanks for viewing

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One batch (for me) made me 2 large yogurt containers full to the brim (about 1300g) As for the number of batches it depend on what you classify large as. I would try about three batches! :)

·
sasquatch
3,074 Posts
I did a hugh paper mache project of a life size nativity scene. It took several days for parts that had been worked on to dry well. Do a good section, then let it dry a couple of days before going back to it. It needs to dry all the way before adding more. The added parts also can mosten under layers so the drying time and lots of patence is important.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i use this same recipe and it works really well.
i suggest that if a person wants to make a big prop then use crumpled newspaper or foil as an armature before applying the clay. this serves a few purposes, 1) it wont use as much clay 2) it takes less drying time, 3) the finished project wont be AS heavy.

it is still very important to allow all the clay to dry a day or 2 depending on how thick of a layer was used before painting as said by the OP.
to get a smoother texture just simply dampen the area and smooth the surface with a craft stick or something similar.

any kind of paint works very well on this.

·
Powered by Unicorn Blood
634 Posts
I have done numerous paper mache props and love to use paper clay! However, I just use this same recipe, just omit the salt, flour and bleach. I have never had mold issues or any other issues to speak of...and I live in the soggy Pacific North West. It usually takes 2 days to dry; depending on depth of clay. I usually don't build entirely out of clay, but build up with traditional mache, then add the clay to accentuate.

I mix by hand or a stick blender...BEWARE of overheating and burning up the equipment! BEWARE!!!

BTW-paper mache RULEZ!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here is a face of what I am hoping to be a seven foot "thing" for the entrance in my haunt. His face is made of this same recipie. It dries nice. You can paint it and sand it... right now I am experimenting with colors but Yes I do love this stuff. Just make sure it has lots of ventilation to dry because if it does not, It will mold.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
320 Posts
I use a recipe that is 98% Stolloween with my own tweaks. And I ran into some serious mold issues on my giant cauldron. But that was likely due to my impatience and not waiting long enough in between coats. It manifested after the final paint job too. I carved out all of the nastiness and then sprayed it with a strong bleach/water mix and let it dry for about a week. Just this morning I filled in the 2" by 3/4" hole with hot glue and foam scraps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a recipe that is 98% Stolloween with my own tweaks. And I ran into some serious mold issues on my giant cauldron. But that was likely due to my impatience and not waiting long enough in between coats. It manifested after the final paint job too. I carved out all of the nastiness and then sprayed it with a strong bleach/water mix and let it dry for about a week. Just this morning I filled in the 2" by 3/4" hole with hot glue and foam scraps.

Thanks for the info. I will wait for this to completely dry.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I added about 2 tablespoons of salt to my mix. Seems to have kept the mold from getting a foothold.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Good idea, I think that I'll add that to my mix too. But I think that my problem was primarily due to not waiting long enough in between coats.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
Ghost Ninja
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing