Halloween Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has been asked before.

I'm planning on making an alien from the film "Devil's Gate", The skeleton will be PVC but I need to bulk up some areas with paper mache, or something. This prop needs to be waterproof to stand up to fall weather in MI.

Once I get the body the way I want it I'm thinking of covering it with Bondo fiberglass resin from HD or polyester resin here: http://smile.amazon.com/Polyester-F...d=1536810106&sr=8-6&keywords=fiberglass+resin I know they're pretty much the same thing.

I'm looking for a fairly smooth surface when finished that I can paint and that will be waterproof.

My question is: Will this work the way I need it to?

Thanks!

·
Registered
799 Posts
How was the resin to work with? I need to work on a project where paper mache would be a good technique except I need it to be weatherproof. If you can offer your opinion/experience in terms of ...

Is it super stinky? Can I do it in the house?
Is it cooperative or does it fight when you need to spread it (or does it refuse to stay where it was put)?
What was the substrate you used? Fiberglass mat or something easier to cut/manage?
Would you say the end product is abrasion resistant or is it something you have to be really careful of when you store it or if a storm pelted it with acorns & small sticks?

I need to make a light weight head that I can have rolling around in a basket, hence the question of "abrasion resistance". Thank you if you have time to answer any of these :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How was the resin to work with? I need to work on a project where paper mache would be a good technique except I need it to be weatherproof. If you can offer your opinion/experience
I didn't end up using resin. This is all paper mache coated with spar urethane. To get the skin texture I used paper towels and the webbing between the fingers and under the arms is several layers of tissue paper coated with the urethane.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts