Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need some advice from those of you who have worked with paper mache. What i need is an idea of about how many layers of mache is recommended when making anything from heads, hands or pretty much anything you can make with this stuff. I really don't want to make something & not know or realize that it could use more layers. Any tips or whatever is great. thanks.

wAkethedeAd

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Wake, welcome to Halloween Forum :)

As for the amount of layers, it can really depend on a couple of factors... the size of the project, the strength of your armature underneath, if its a solid flat surface like a pumpkin or a delicate off shoot like an arm or leg joint.

As a rule of thumb, most people say 3 to 4 layers, I usually do like 5 or 6. You will be able to tell when its dry how hard it is, sometimes 3 or 4 is really all you need.

If you put any type of clay over your mache, just make sure it is really dried well, or it will sag.

I'm sure others will have their opinions as well, its not an exact science :)

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,149 Posts
Like dixie said, it really depends on the project...

I do 3-4 layers on things that will be well supported and/or very detailed, and typically do some clay over dried maché to get even finer details.

If you seal it well and it's not something that could fall over and/or break, then you could probably get away with 3-4 layers, but when in doubt, more is better.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Like the ladies previously, I generally find 3-4 layers sufficient for most general applications.
if you are using "strip mache", a good tip is to laminate the layers in alternate vertical and horizontal strips. This will help to add strength.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts