Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering taking advantage of all the free pallets in the area in spring. I was debating on taking a few of them to create 2 large gothic columns as a idea. What would you all do with access to a lot of them? Looking for easy options.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I use pallets for two things:

1- Toe pinchers coffins. They're heavy...requiring a handtruck to move them around...but they look great and I don't have to age them much (I'm a better carpenter than painter). I don't usually use the 2x3 or 2x4 boards that hold the pallets together, since it's usually oak and 3X as heavy as regular Home Depot pine 2x4's. Of course, sometimes they make a good base for something that you don't want to blow over. Last year, I ripped several in half (making 2x2's) and used them to build a sturdy table to put my heavy toe pincher coffin on.

2- Boarded windows. I layed two pallet boards end to end, then overlapped their ends by 5" or so & screwed them together. I made two of these to be used as vertical pieces and put them parallel to each other 30" apart. I arranged several single pallet boards between these in random boarded-window fashion and screwed it all together. Everything is screwed from the back, so you don't see the screws. Pull the old rusty nails from the pallets, cut their heads off leaving 1/2" of nail shaft & nails these randomly on the front. Put an eye hook on the back of each of the two vertical pieces at the top. These eyes slip over drywall screws that I ran into the top of the exterior windows. I measured carefully so everything was exactly 30" on all pieces, so I can interchange the sections on different windows each year.

If you want pics of any of this, let me know.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The Nightmarefamily, suggested something that shouldn't be missed, " I recomend sawing the planks off ".
I've broken down some pallets with only a hammer, a lot of work and a lot of broken planks.
I believe the nails used for pallets are a special spiral with glue, that get shot in with a nail gun and the heat actives the glue.
All designed to not pull apart easily. There is a tool made for pulling the cross boards off pallets for reuse ($50-$100).

My suggestion is try 2-3 "free pallets" first, before bringing home a pile, I did four and that was way more work then I had planned.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
"Pallets Gallore"...wasn't that the name of a female character in one of the Bond movies?

It wasn't?

What was it?

Oh. That's very different.

Never mind.

OMG, I literally choked on my water....I'm still laughing. Thanks~so needed that:D

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
I'm considering taking advantage of all the free pallets in the area in spring. I was debating on taking a few of them to create 2 large gothic columns as a idea. What would you all do with access to a lot of them? Looking for easy options.
We took apart our free pallets & used the wood for the siding on our swamp shack. I also made a ground breaker coffin out of pallets. Maybe distressing some for 'boarded up windows'? How about a rustic curiosities cabinet?

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I heart pallets

I put them on my roof which doesn't have a steep pitch and screw things to them like say Santa's sleigh and the nine reindeer at Christmas

I've built several styles of coffins. As mentioned, they're heavy compared to the ones I built with old fence wood

I use a reciprocating saw to cut the boards off...do this on concrete so you can see where the nails are falling

I like offmymeds pathway...but I don't have enough pallets. That would be good for my backyard if I decided to go around the house again as it would be less damaging to the grass then foot traffic. Plus I can plumb PVC under it for dispersing fog

I like the way jdubbya (I think) used them for his corn maze and I would like to do something similar. Not a maze but as my front fence with Corn stalks stuffed in them...then I could move my existing cemetery fence to the back yard

Although I used old fence for mine, you could use them for huts or shacks. I have my cauldron creep in one to combat the weather and am thinking of building a couple more.

The great thing about pallets is they can be stored outside all year, if you have a big enough outside.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I made a bar - and a town - and parts of a pirate ship - and a board walk - and signs. Hell, almost everything last year was palets. That's why I called it Paletown!

Ok, so I have a problem. Is there a Palets Anonymous?

I'm planning on using palets this year in a circus theme.

Attachments

1,532 Posts
Goodness I love that bar... I want one for my back yard year round.

Pallets what don't we use them for... fences, walls, coffins, props. I know one home haunter in Oregon who uses them to build all his haunt walls. At the West Coast Haunters Convention 2 years ago he had handouts on how to make the walls, then at the end of the season since he has no where to store them, he claims to sell then to recyclers for a couple of bucks each.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
jdubbya, I would love to be able to do pallet and corn walls like that. Alas, no extra storage space available. (Also not sure how well it'd work out on uneven ground rather than concrete, but it looks so good.)
Actually, the pallets were obtained for free and set up as we got them. I couldn't store them either so after Halloween we kept maybe 10 of them and got rid of the rest. I think you'd be fine even if the ground wasn't even. We cut the tabs off the ends and just screwed them together. It worked out really well and made for a cheap and effective walk through.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.