Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we finished the last two pallet shack today. Now to start decorating them.
Let me ask some opinions we have made 4 shacks. There are all in my backyard, there is absolutely no lighting back there. My first thought was to have clear flood light just shine the are, but maybe each "shack" should have their own lights. So use your imagination, and help out a fellow gouhl. My first shack is the chop shop/or the butcher block this one is obvious this will be red lights. The next shack will be the mine shaft, I will have one single yellow bulb hanging down, but what else does the shaft deserve a strobe light?
Next will be the haunted playground this really is the kids swing set/tree house. I have the mock ring girl coming out of the well I thought of light coming from the well, what color? what other lights from the playground, maybe blue?
Next comes the wild west, I just thought maybe clear lights, would a strobe be good here?
Finaly the clown room where strobe, and black lights are easily the choice lights, any others? any help or suggestions will be appreciated just looking to bounce ideas.
thanks.

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
In the butcher shop you might want to try to use a red strobe light it adds more movement. Maybe get your butcher to throw a little water at your patrons (they'll think it's blood). The mine shaft might be cool with something that mimicks lantern light. Possibly something that flickers (like those bulbs that look like little flames). Playground definately blue (very haunting) Blue looks awesome on the girl from the ring. It also makes the environment look like a black and white T.V. I am not sure about the wild west maybe accent lighting on things you want to highlight maybe a blend of colors.

I also have a clown room this year but I have 1 single strobe light on but it's for a specific effect I am doing. My room is painted in harlequin pattern so the strobe makes it very disorienting. There will be a bunch of balloons on the floor blowed up till their just about to pop.
My room has a secret entrance that only the star clown knows about otherwise there is an entrance and an exit door. When the patrons go in the entrance the door slams behind them and locks. The exit is already locked. Then begins pop goes the weisel recorded as a childs piano. At the end of the song where there is the predicted POP Goes the weisel there is no pop the song ends and the lights are shut off making it completely pitch black (people are terrified in the dark their imaginations run wild).
A track I blended of laughter and an accelerated heartbeat start (lights still off) The Clown comes in the secret door and when the heartbeat reaches it's peak the red light comes on angled to make the clown look the creepiest scaring the crap out of the people. Sometime he even plans to hold their hands. I even have a few guys who are going to go out the secret door and switch places with the clown leaving their girlfriends alone. I can't wait.

Sorry I got so long winded I hope I gave some ideas.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think red would be an interesting effect in the Wild West setting. Like the red lights in a brothel. Any other color seems too incongruous. The mine shaft lighting is perfect!

Creepyhomemaker, your clown room sounds horrifying. I love it! he music is perfect, the lights going out is pefect and the clown sneaking in is terrifying. Gives me chills. But I think my favorite detail... so subtle but perfect... is the balloons. Someone moves in the dark and steps on a balloon, POP! I love it. It will scare the bejeezus out of someone! YAY! Love it!

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
I'd go for individual lights. Since the well is full of water i'd use blue or a very crisp white light behind her. clown room... if you could get one of those spinning light things people use for parties, but only leave red and orange and yellow lights in it... that could be cool.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I love your clown room the lights off effect is wonderful, of coourse with the lack of time change once again, it wont be dark in our clown room till about 8ish.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I also have a clown room this year but I have 1 single strobe light on but it's for a specific effect I am doing. My room is painted in harlequin pattern so the strobe makes it very disorienting. There will be a bunch of balloons on the floor blowed up till their just about to pop.
My room has a secret entrance that only the star clown knows about otherwise there is an entrance and an exit door. When the patrons go in the entrance the door slams behind them and locks. The exit is already locked. Then begins pop goes the weisel recorded as a childs piano. At the end of the song where there is the predicted POP Goes the weisel there is no pop the song ends and the lights are shut off making it completely pitch black (people are terrified in the dark their imaginations run wild).
A track I blended of laughter and an accelerated heartbeat start (lights still off) The Clown comes in the secret door and when the heartbeat reaches it's peak the red light comes on angled to make the clown look the creepiest scaring the crap out of the people. Sometime he even plans to hold their hands. I even have a few guys who are going to go out the secret door and switch places with the clown leaving their girlfriends alone. I can't wait.
If there is any chance at all of you being able to record any of this room (thinking IR security camera or something like that), please please please do so and share...your idea sounds fantastic!!
Kind of a weird thought, but I hope the walls are good and solid, as I think they may be subject to some people running into them with force, as they try to get away!

·
Grave Rigger
982 Posts
I'd go for individual lights. Since the well is full of water i'd use blue or a very crisp white light behind her. clown room... if you could get one of those spinning light things people use for parties, but only leave red and orange and yellow lights in it... that could be cool.
I was going to recommend the same thing.

http://www.skytronic.com/rsc/img/100/153_161.jpg

A multi colored disco ball is disorienting and you throw in some creepy clowns and it's a cheap and easy home run.
I like the plain yellow for the mine shaft. Get one those mini desk fans to blow it. See if you can get it to swing back and foth real slow.

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Yea the walls are solid it's a permanant haunt my husband and I built several years ago. It's like my playhouse. I do have plans for a camera to be set up in another part of my haunt but I hadn't thought of putting it in this particular room. Right now my plans are to have it in the "living room" with the people being shown on the T.V. right along with the person sneaking up behind them. But I might change my mind. I wish I had more cameras.

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
the lack of time change once again, it wont be dark in our clown room till about 8ish.
Is there any chance you could cover it in any way with black plastic. That will block alot of light. Not sure what your setup is but I've used it in different ways for years.

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Strobe lights are cool alot of the time but if you're gonna hang around those things for very long get some Dramamine or put someone you don't like very much to work that area. ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Old Mine

How are you planning to decorate your mine? What will be the scare factor? We have pallets to do that at the very edge of the woods, but still don't know what we are going to use for the "punch."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts