Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing the net and came across these tools to take pallets apart, does anyone here use one or made one? This past season I made a prop from pallets and man, it was tough taking them apart
Scrapbook_1394166290935.jpg

Scrapbook_1394166258711.jpg

Scrapbook_1394166272661.jpg

Scrapbook_1394166282438.jpg

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
Those are cool.

I was building a "Spooky Ticket Booth" for our 2013 haunt, and originally intended to break down a bunch of free pallets I had for the materials. Halfway through the first pallet (about 40 minutes of work and several broken slats) I gave up and just headed to Lowe's to buy fence slats.

This tool would have saved me some money.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Most pallets I have had were made from oak, which splinters, breaks and then you have to drill a hole in it to nail or screw it together.. how much does that 4 by 8 sheet cost? It might be much cheaper, if you really figure your time and effort.

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
Maaaaan. I wonder where I could find these in my part of the world. How many broken slats, wasted time and effort... Something to keep an eye out for. Made a Monster In a Box a few years ago now made strictly out of pallet wood. Anything anyone is making outta pallets, be prepared to spend some time, and get more than you need. More often than not you'll be splintering those slats trying to pry the nails on either side. It's an all at once deal. Can't just pull one nail by one nail.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I actually had one of these made for me. I sent pictures to someone I knew who did metal work. He came up with a very nice design. The forks are actually flat to help prevent splitting the wood. He even powder coated it. I'll try to take a pic of it tonight, but it literally takes me less than 10 minutes to break down a pallet. Only cost me $90. I would say well worth it for the projects I have in mind and the quantity of free pallets I can get.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Joven, that one seems to be the most effective one because of the length and weight, I'm going to look into having someone from a welding shop put one together

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yea, honestly, I need to have mine redone a bit because the handle is too long in my opinion, but it still works fine for what I need. Like I said earlier, I'll take a pic of mine and upload it tonight...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts