Halloween Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
OK Terra, so where do you find your Drylock, our local Home Depot paint hacks have never heard of it (hence why I use Kilz tinted gray), and our Ace is not a carrier either. I guess a small downfall of living on an Island (Dark Star has helped with other problems like lack of a Big Lots!).

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey Terra, awesome video and nice how to! What color dark grey do you use if you dont mind me asking? I never really liked the grey I have used the past couple of years but then again I havent been using dry lock yet either and I think that will help tremendously! Just trying to get more of that stone "grey" look that is on most tombstones. Thanks!
Ok, the color I used was "obsidian glass." I had it tinted at Home Depot. It's a very, very dark gray color.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
OK Terra, so where do you find your Drylock, our local Home Depot paint hacks have never heard of it (hence why I use Kilz tinted gray), and our Ace is not a carrier either. I guess a small downfall of living on an Island (Dark Star has helped with other problems like lack of a Big Lots!).
I'm thinking that they didn't know they carried it. It's by the weird paint section. You know, cement paint, basement paint...stuff like that. I'm pretty sure they do carry it because they have gallon cans of it and 5 gallon cans of it. My Home Depot only carries the white color. But at Lowe's they carry the white, gray, beige and blue pre-tinted colors.

The cans looks like this if that helps: By the way, make sure you get the latex version. NOT THE OIL-BASED. That eats the foam.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ok, the color I used was "obsidian glass." I had it tinted at Home Depot. It's a very, very dark gray color.
Awesome, thanks Terra! So you pretty much just use the Dry lock as the base color and then use the dark dark grey for the accents ? (dry brushing, tea-staining, etc..) The way I made mine was to use Black as a base, so all the letters/indentions, nicks and crannies, weathering and everything was coated and then I had that grey color I never liked and used that as the top coat. (it also had sand in it for the "stone" look" Not the best though. Hoping Dry Lock will do better! :) ) And then I did the techniqe where you spray the top of the tombstone lightly with a hose and spray black spray paint and let it drip down. Im attaching a couple pics of a few of my old tombstones. Kinda liked that effect but I'm going to try urs for a different look. Thanks again!

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Awesome, thanks Terra! So you pretty much just use the Dry lock as the base color and then use the dark dark grey for the accents ? (dry brushing, tea-staining, etc..) The way I made mine was to use Black as a base, so all the letters/indentions, nicks and crannies, weathering and everything was coated and then I had that grey color I never liked and used that as the top coat. (it also had sand in it for the "stone" look" Not the best though. Hoping Dry Lock will do better! :) ) And then I did the techniqe where you spray the top of the tombstone lightly with a hose and spray black spray paint and let it drip down. Im attaching a couple pics of a few of my old tombstones. Kinda liked that effect but I'm going to try urs for a different look. Thanks again!
The tombstones are great. I loved "CUJO" and then I saw. "I will return." LOL! Great :) The hose method looks very similar to what I do. It's a softer style. Very nice.

Yes, I do the gray Drylok as the base color and use the Obsidian Glass gray color as the accents.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The tombstones are great. I loved "CUJO" an then I saw. "I will return." LOL! Great :) The hose method looks very similar to what I do. It's a softer style. Very nice.

Yes, I do the gray Drylok as the base color and use the Obsidian Glass gray color as the accents.
Thanks Terra :) Im attaching a couple more for your viewing pleasure that you might like. Let me know if you figure out the "Church" one. ;) Its along the same lines as "Cujo".

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hmm, don't get the 'Church' one but it's probably because it is probably based on a movie I haven't seen? Love the Masbath one. The idea of having the white background for the name is a new one. Looks good.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hmm, don't get the 'Church' one but it's probably because it is probably based on a movie I haven't seen? Love the Masbath one. The idea of having the white background for the name is a new one. Looks good.
Thanks Terra :eek: I got the white background for the name from seeing it on real tombstones and decided to try it :) I'm assuming you've never seen "Pet Semetary" then huh? Either that or its been a while. ;) Church is the name of the cat in the movie. Winston Churchill is its full name and they called it "church". I wont say anymore in case you havent seen it :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
KenPilot I saw your "Church stone on another thread with the cat beside it. The eyes were glowing and I thought "that looks like the cat from Pet Cemetary. I kinda remembered the cat's name being Church but wasn't positive. It shows what a great job you did to bring back a memory of a movie and book from so long ago.
Terra I'm getting ready to start on my first tombstones ever and was wanting to clarify. Latex paint can be put on pink/blue/green/white styrofoam. I read different threads some say acrylic, some latex, one enamel. Enamel is oil based, latex water based, acrylic I don't know. I saw where you said latex dryloc, just wanting to make sure from someone who knows.

·
Registered
440 Posts
KenPilot I saw your "Church stone on another thread with the cat beside it. The eyes were glowing and I thought "that looks like the cat from Pet Cemetary. I kinda remembered the cat's name being Church but wasn't positive. It shows what a great job you did to bring back a memory of a movie and book from so long ago.
Terra I'm getting ready to start on my first tombstones ever and was wanting to clarify. Latex paint can be put on pink/blue/green/white styrofoam. I read different threads some say acrylic, some latex, one enamel. Enamel is oil based, latex water based, acrylic I don't know. I saw where you said latex dryloc, just wanting to make sure from someone who knows.
Thanks Thorn Kill Creek :) They are yellow LED's I wired up and put thru the eye sockets. And as far as the paint for the different materials, I have always used Latex on the pink and blue foamboard, I don't have any experience with the others. But I know latex works perfectly fine with those 2.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Generally latex and acrylic have the same application rules. They are both water-based and generally use the same ingredients. In the UK, they are called emulsion paints.

Enamel paints or oil-based paints and spray paints all have an ingredient in them that eats foam. It's acetone.

So, if you want to paint the stones with no damage, be sure to get water-based paints. Either latex, acrylic, emulsion or latex Drylok. I have artists' quality acrylic paints and they have handled the elements really well. But, to make sure, I would buy exterior latex paint. The stuff you would get to paint the outside of your house. The great thing about that is that it's cheap.

Back to acetone. I use the fact that it eats the foam to my advantage. Prior to painting the stone with Drylok, I grab a can of cheap spray paint and spray the stone in strategic places. The way the foam is eaten away reminds me very much of old and crumbling stone. My last tombstone I went as far as using straight acetone for the cracks. Very realistic. Here is a picture of one of my stones that I used the spray paint to eat it away:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would love to request that you create a photo album on your profile of all your wonderful tombstones! I always seem to admire your work!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts