Halloween Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time working on a Christmas project and since this is my home for the majority of the time during my Halloween builds, I figured this is the place to ask this question.

I'm making something out of rigid foam, will paint it and put it outside in my yard. I'm used to painting the foam with Drylok but don't want to use it for this project because I don't want that sandy texture. What's the best paint to use that will waterproof it and stand up to the snow and rain? I don't want to have to re-paint it each season.

Thanks for your help!

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,671 Posts
My suggestion would be start with Glidden Gripper primer, then a couple of coats of exterior latex paint. If you want to protect it against scuffs and scratches, one or two coats of clearcoat should do the trick.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can definitely get it online and also you can try simply using exterior paint and a couple coats of a satin polyurethane sealant. Works great, it is cheap, comes in a spray can and I have used it for various projects, yes even some not for Halloween!

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
it's riged foam its water proof already just need to be concerned with paint adhesion
Agreed, ihauntu, who is one of the Forum's styrofoam masters, always notes that as well. Gliddon Gripper works very well, I have also used it as glue to adhere two pieces of sytofoam together, it works great! You will need decent outdoor latex paint, primer and you should be good to go!

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,671 Posts
what is glidden grippers actual purpose for ??( what is it sold for )
It's paint primer. Apply it to wood or drywall to give the paint a secure surface to adhere to. Also, as Trex stated, it can be used to glue foam pieces together. It may take a couple of days to cure properly, but once it's cured, the foam will fail before the gripper bond does.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've used indoor/outdoor latex over my blue foam. Through several rains, it still looks fine after a couple Halloween seasons outdoors. The GG may hold better (I haven't used it), but I wouldn't consider it the only solution. Just my two cents. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts