Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about using Drylok as a base to give it some texture, and then using some kind of thick goo. I saw a post online about a guy who used oatmeal, but I don't think it worked for him. Just looking for some suggestions.
Thanks

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,636 Posts
http://www.halloweenforum.com/members/jdubbya-albums-the-coven.html

There are a couple pics of my cauldron in here. Used a half/half mixture of elmers glue and water, then added oatmeal and sand. Slathered it on, heavier in some spots. Let it dry thoroughly. Hit it with flat black spray paint then a couple different shades of watered down brown acrylics. Came out pretty well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a couple pics of my cauldron in here. Used a half/half mixture of elmers glue and water, then added oatmeal and sand. Slathered it on, heavier in some spots. Let it dry thoroughly. Hit it with flat black spray paint then a couple different shades of watered down brown acrylics. Came out pretty well

That does look good. The post I read online said the oatmeal kept sliding off. I thought maybe the Drylok would give that rough texture like sand and then I could spread on the oatmeal and glue mixture. Your idea sounds easier though. I will give it a try.
Thanks.:)

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,636 Posts
There are a couple pics of my cauldron in here. Used a half/half mixture of elmers glue and water, then added oatmeal and sand. Slathered it on, heavier in some spots. Let it dry thoroughly. Hit it with flat black spray paint then a couple different shades of watered down brown acrylics. Came out pretty well

That does look good. The post I read online said the oatmeal kept sliding off. I thought maybe the Drylok would give that rough texture like sand and then I could spread on the oatmeal and glue mixture. Your idea sounds easier though. I will give it a try.
Thanks.:)
DryLok would give you a gritty texture. The oatmeal adds the appearance of corrosion/rust patches. If you mix it so that the consistancy is on the thick side (think thick soup) the oatmeal will adhere nicely and not slide off. The sand also acts as a binding agent. I did mine outside on a sunny day and it was dry within under an hour. You'll get some drippage so put a tarp or something under it.
It's cheap and works great.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The oatmeal and sand looks great! ever tried mixing the oatmeal and sand in latex paint? i used sand in paint method to paint my pillars, I'm curious now what the oatmeal would look like.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I tired the elmers/oatmeal thing about 4 years ago. It LOOKS great. But after this many seasons being outside for an entire month the October rains has most of it washed away. Since no amount of paint over the top can protect water soluble elemers glue that gets wet constantly it is a not a long term solution. When I finally get around to rehabbing that prop I will definitely go with something else.

·
Registered
398 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm going to try the glue/oatmeal mixture. My cauldron will be on a covered porch so the elements shouldn't interfere with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts