Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a way to paint anything to make it look like metal. Then, how to make it look like grimy old metal. After a while I won't be able to edit this post with corrections or lessons learned so if you want the latest info, please go directly to my album: Halloween Forum - Terra's Album: Tutorial: Painting Faux Metal

This technique can be done on anything you need to look like metal. If you need to disguise the original texture you will need some monster mud.

Materials needed:

Optional: Monster Mud tinted black or rust (or both)
Silver latex paint (I used Ralph Lauren)
Black paint
Raw sienna paint (rust color)
Optional Rivets: White and black airbrush paint and stencil with hole in it

Equipment:

3" brush
1 1/2" brush
Optional: air brush
Optional: paint roller

For painting my tank, I wanted to disguise that it is made of plywood. So, I made up some monster mud using black paint. Then I rolled it on thick.

You can see in this picture the texture that was left behind from rolling it on with a paint roller. It is starting to look like grimy old metal.

Using the 3" paint brush, apply silver paint in downward strokes. Cover the black well but leave some of the black showing beneath.

Dip your 1 1/2" brush into the raw sienna paint and randomly jab in some accents. Focus on places where you think rust will have formed (joints, seams) and pull the paint down a little. Then, make a wash of the same raw sienna paint and starting at the top, dab it on and pull it down.

In the picture you can see that there seems to be two different rust colors. It's actually one but the darker color is straight raw sienna and the lighter ones were thinned a bit with water and/or white paint. Just try to switch a bit of the tones so you get a more organic look.

Dip your 1 1/2" brush into the black paint and jab in additional accents. Then, using the 3" brush, dry brush the black in random sections to help make it look like old metal. Finally, make a wash of the black paint and again starting at the top dab it on and pull it down.

I came back with the raw sienna wash to get a layer of the rust over some of the black. I then did another wash of black. I do that to really add an old, ancient look to it. You don't have to keep going over it like I do. Just keep at it until you like the look (I can go overboard).

Painting rivets:
If you have an air brush, go to this link and follow the excellent tutorial at the 6:00 time stamp:

If you don't have an airbrush you can try the technique with a regular brush. It should still look pretty good. Basically the airbrush technique is:

1. Paint a fuzzy white bottom half-circle.
2. Paint a fuzzy black top half-circle.
3. Place stencil with a hole in it in the center of that and paint white.
4. With stencil still in place, paint bottom half a fuzzy black.
5. With stencil still in place, paint top half a fuzzy white.

Continued.....

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

This was a wood crate that I didn't bother doing the monster mud step but I think it still looks pretty good.

I did the fog machine a little different. It was already black and metal so I just dry brushed it with the silver paint. Then I made a batch of monster mud tinted with the raw sienna and with a small foam roller I randomly hit it with the mm. That gave it a nice rusty-looking depth. Finished it off a little black dry brushing, quick raw sienna wash and rivets. Looks steampunkish huh?

This was a green rotating Christmas tree stand. I needed to really change the texture so I used the raw sienna mm heavy on it, then dry brushed the silver and added the black accents. So, you can do different orders of paint layers and different tinted colored mm and get different results. It's quite fun actually to see what you end up with :)

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
Terra, you should change your name to Terra, Queen of the paint brush! That came out great! Thanks for sharing. I'm always having problems getting the right look with paint.

·
Registered
319 Posts
OHHHH Terra you are the BEST! Thank you for putting this up... Told ya I was just waiting for it.. Now time to get to work!
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I would swear that tree stand is metal. Before I read what it was, I thought it was some sort of metal flood light. Really nice work. Thanks for the tips.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I really love the technique for painting the rivets. Gives a great 3D effect!
I also like the idea of using mm to give texture. So many people overlook the texture of rusted metal.

Great work once again Terra!

·
Registered
319 Posts
OH will do Terra, I gotta hit the store and get the rust color before I can get to it. But I will send you some shots when done.
I learned how to do true flames from Ed Hubbs. Very good tutorials on his stuff.
Here is my first job after his tutorial. Its the cover for my boat motor.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
that really did come out great. It is amazing that styrafoam can be made to look like stone and wood can be made to look like old metal.

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again everyone. :):p

Kammo, that boat cover is amazing! Ed Hubbs is an incredible airbrush artist. Also, he is a really nice guy. He responds to every comment made on his YouTube videos. I told him I was using some of his tricks for Halloween props and he wants me to send him some pictures. I need to do that. I think he'd get a kick out of it.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Terra is incredibly gifted. Makes the rest of us look like preschoolers with finger paints.

:)

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow...:eek: thank you so much. I just have so much fun doing this, I feel like a kid with finger paints. You are too kind and coming from you, I'm very honored. You work is incredible.

By the way, bag that raccoon yet? :p

·
Registered
171 Posts
I love the illusion of the rivets, because it really does appear to be indented at first. I think it is amazing how you can take something as nice and neat as a jet black, smooth fogger, and within a matter of brushstrokes and air puffs it is a dented, disease-ridden work of art!(that makes sense, right?;))

You are the true rennisance haunter! A downright Da Vinci with spraypaint and airbrush in hand, and a canvas of styrofoam awaiting your heavenly (or sometimes hellish:p) touch! I love it! (sorry 'bout the ramble there, but I still don't know how you have evaded all of those professional haunt companies trying to kidnap you to work for them:D!)

·
Ubzest
1,249 Posts
when I first seen the cabinet ,I thought to myself, she mustve hammered it and then painted. You did awesome work, but I guess you kinda figured that out. the video was pretty funny at the end. thanks for sharing that!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts