Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow haunters!

So I want to build a dragon this year. I'm having trouble finding a black dragon mask under $200.00.

I love the Mario Chiodo masks but they are only in grey, blue and red. I'm considering buying one and then painting it black and purple.

The Google tells me to mix acrylic and liquid latex in order to do this. My question is, has anyone tried it before? How did it turn out? I've read half and half acrylic/latex but other sites say something like "2 parts latex".

Also, where do I buy liquid latex? Is it expensive?

Here is the grey mask I'm considering. Most of them hover around $60.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

MR035018.jpg

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
i've painted some masks with acrylic craft paints with craft paint brushes & it works extremely well ... but i don't have any masks that are that much money

you can test the inside of the mask to verify ...

airbrushing, i'm thinking?

amk

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
Yep, 50/50 acrylic and balloon latex works well. You might wipe the surface of the mask with naptha if you can get it first to open up the pores of the rubber and help it bite. You can get latex at special effects supply places like Frends Beauty in Los Angeles. I'm sure there are places closer to you, but they'll ship it. 16 oz is probably all you need

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You don't need special paints for masks. Common house paint is latex, and works well on masks. Home Depot sells sample size paints for like $2 that will give you every color of the rainbow and a bottle is usually enough to get the job done. I would suggest painting the entire mask black, then painting the purple using a dry brush technique.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts