Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be trying out my new paint sprayer on monday and was hopeing i might be able to get some tips from the very knolgeable people here. It is an air powered paint sprayer simmilar to this one

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4194702CnYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I bought a few 5 galon pails of exterior latex paint and I am planing on useing this. Will I need to thin the paint for use? if so with what watter?... paint thiner?

I bought myself a proper painting mask (not one of the paper ones from the dollar store)

I am planing on cleaning the sprayer by runing watter through it to clean all the paint out will this work?

is there anything i have missed?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I use a paint sprayer very similar to that and I use to use a product called Flotrol to thin my paint but that was a little pricey. So, now I thin my paint with water at about a 60% paint 40% water mixture. I have gone as high as 50/50 with no issues. I clean mine by running water through it and then I take it inside and break it apart to clean all of the part.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
You basically have 2 kinds of paint- water based and oil based...Water based is what I normally use because you can use water to thin it and also clean up...and it's free versus oil based that you'd need thinner for clean up and thinning down...Much more costly....Since your new to spraying, I would keep a brush around so you can brush out any runs you may get...As long as your not going for a super fine coating on something very smooth like metal, the brush should be fine....Yes, You'll have to thin before spraying or you won't get a very nice finish and it will keep clogging however that makes the paint more runny so you'll need to experiment for a nice medium....Good Luck!...ZR

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm a housepainter by trade and I use a similar looking high end sprayer quite often. My best advice is to spray as far away as possible from anything you don't want paint on. The overspray is very fine and cloud of paint will travel further than you think especially if there's any wind. If possible, setting up a makeshift spray booth is a good idea.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I have to second that statement. I did some spraying in my driveway and realized the cars weren't far enough a way. :eek:

Had to give both cars a quick wash before I could continue. Good thing I was working with latex paint at the time. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts