1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Be Something!
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready??

Get a lantern!
This is a Big Lots "el~cheapo!"

Next, You want to begin sanding..Grab whatever grit ya got. It dont matter, this is going to look hideous. The grittier the paper, the better. I dis-assembled the lamp as you can see. It depends what you have in font of you. You could just tape off the glass if you want I suppose. Im a guy, we take stuff apart, then, lose the screws.

Just knock back any gloss on your latern as best you can..we gotta get the paint to stick.

Next. clean off all of the parts you just sanded. I used Isopropyl alcohol, you can use thinners, a tack cloth, or a damp rag if thats all ya got.

OKAY KIDS!! TIME TO PUT ON A FACE MASK!!
**Spray Paint fumes are dangerous, like a zombie, they will eat your brain..and, after all we dont want you to start "seeing monsters" watching you work or anything, so please, wear a mask....even a bandanna across your mouth and nose is better than nothng. I prefer this gas mask Pink Floyd gave me.
Seriously though...WEAR A MASK.

Give your work a coat of flat black....build up lightly. Drenching it in paint is not what we want to do....cuz were gonna do that later 2 coats is good. Do all your sanded parts at this point.

Bring on the sand! Well, i'm in California and we have plenty of sand...(but if you cant find any sand, use cornmeal...like bobzilla). This is really noting special, although MY sand was dug from the base of the great pyramid in Egypt under a full moon while chanting in Latin....just sayin.

Whatcha want to do is drizzle some sand into the wet paint. working in sections until it all comes together. Use a tub 'o sand like I do if you can, cuz you can just set your parts right in there as you work, and you wont make nearly the mess. The sticks in there are for leaning stuff against or hanging parts on as I work..IGNORE THEM!

Now, you want to keep alternating paint coats and sand until you get an amount you like. Look at the pics further ahead to see where I stopped. You could do more, you could do less. Once you get the amount you want....You need to saturate it in black....really wet it. This will dry and become the binder that keeps the sand from falling off. You'll sill lose a little after its dry, but if you dont saturate it, then let it dry completely, you'll lose most of it, which is no good.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ah Chop I always love seeing props made by you. Excited to see the finished product. How much was your lantern? I was either going to go to Big Lots or try wally world for a cheap lantern for my set.

·
Be Something!
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Imindless, this one I picked up on clearance for 3 bucks..they may or may not have more near you.

Ok, Back to work! Now we switch cans to a metallic color. I prefer the brand shown, because I think it looks and works the best, but I think you could use any brand if you want. Just try to use something around the satin metallic silver or bronze family....NO GLOSS!

Now, subtlety is the key here! You just want to "dust" it on..very lightly. Too much will kill the effect. practice off to the side. quick bursts, far away ( at least a foot) , moving quickly side to side. If you think you put too much down, let it dry, hit it with black,, then do it again. Watch the metallic flakes build up until you get something about halfway between the black, and a solid coat of metallic. You want it to look faded or worn. Don't cover all the black in other words.

Next, we age the glass....

I did not photograph the glass frosting step..I forgot! Basically, its just like spray paint. It's sold in the same section as the paints, its called frosted glass...lol.
Any how, after a coat of that, I used an acrylic ink ( sepia colored) and began dusting in the top and bottom..where I thought the most heat would be in real life. ( I think a transparent acrylic would work here too instead of the ink) Next, I grabbed some black, then simulated soot where the flames would "lick" the side of the glass over time. Thats it!!

Next, I re~assembled the latern....at this point, you actually could call it done I suppose. But why do that, when you can push it so much further? At least do the first color in the next step! Heres a look at it below...VERY EASY!!

^^ All I did was dab some brown here and there, then lightly dry brush the thing until it began to look dirty.

·
Be Something!
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now, we do some details....detail is very important. Its where you really take something over the top. It takes practice and patience...then more practice. Dont get discouraged, dont be too critical of yourself. Look at things you like, then try and do the same thing. Over time, you will be surprised at yourself. You will get better.

A Word On Tools:

Now, here are a few of my favorite tools.. Nothing special, nothing really expensive. I own some expensive brushes, but they dont get used much. I grab the cheap ones and dont worry too much when i'm doing horror stuff. I beat the heck out of them, and they seem to get better.
I have a round brush from a pack of four from the Dollar store. I have a fan brush and flat type brush that came in a big pack of brushes Michaels sells for like 7 bucks.. I also have a thin liner, and a couple of toothbrushes. A sea sponge is also handy to have around. The big, round, vintage brush on the left is new to me, and I just laid it there cuz it looks damn cool.. we are getting to know each other while I revive it's career.
I probably have at least a hundred more various brushes around here, but these are the main go to tools for me. Airbrush? yep...(thats an entire other thing)...lets say another day for that topic. For simplicity's sake, I'll just use the fan brush for the rest of the tutorial.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Fantastic stuff. The type of lantern you are making seems to be for a mining scene possibly instead of a witch scene (unless its a bog I guess). I plan to make one either for a pirate scene or a witch scene, not sure. So I will be doing it differently. But damn you got talent! :D

·
Be Something!
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't I mention that MY WITCH lives in an abandoned nickle mine in Oregon? (Near the beach, next to a bog)...and it rains every night as shes out gathering herbs in the woods. :)

Anyhow, back to the Zombie Coal Miner 's lamp that he lost after he was buried in a cave.. that my witch found one day.
:D

Add some Brown! just use a little craft paint, el`cheapo of course.. grab a little brush and begin to dirty it up. I focused on the crevices , the holes, and some high spots. Just remember to dip your brush, then brush some paint off before you touch the paint to your prop. You want your brush to be almost dry, not wet with paint. Work gradually as always. ^^ Count back 2 photos where I put the lantern back together and you can see this step as well.

Below we switch to a Raw Sienna, yes, el-cheapo. Here just randomly dab in a static patern, hitting in an around the brown. don't cover all the brown, and don't cover all the metallic. Keep your brush dry as we did above.

**Use reference shots of old decayed and rusted metal...it helps you to choose your colors and see how the patterns move about.

Below, we switch to Orange to make it pop. You guessed it, el cheapo. Use this sparingly as the photos show..more as an accent. ( or, use it alot if you like..its YOUR project!)

Please note, this is NOT the proper use of a Fan brush, lol...I just like the randomness is creates when used against that gritty surface...you can use any small brush with stiff bristles. Dont be confined to what your "supposed" to do.

Below is a shot after the Brown, Raw Sienna, and the Orange are done.

Look gnarly? (the last Witch I ran into had one just like it.):D

·
Be Something!
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Silver accents.. not entirely necessary, but I did it any way. Just a little silver paint here and there on the high spots. The "Devil is in the Details" you know?

Seal it up!! For this step, I used a Matte Clear. Any old brand will do. Just a little light coat, cuz too much is just toooo much!

I follow that with a coat of Dulling Spray.
Dulling Spray is a specialty product photographers use to kill shine caused by studio lights or what ever. I use it to kill the shine too. Matte sealer still leaves a bit of a glossy sheen that I hate. Again, this is not necessary, just thought i'd show you. :)

Thats it!
This is nothing new, and no big secret. There are other ways to do this as well. This is just one fairly simple way I do it. I think you'll see that this prop can be used may ways.. A graveyard care taker, an Egyptian archaeology scene, whatever. I just happened to be building a Witch and I though it would make a useful tutorial. Carry this technique over to other items as well, its very versatile. Switch the colors up too. Try greens or greys as well. Purples and Yellows for an entirely different look. Be Creative!!

**At this point, you could add some drippy oily residue, soot, cobwebs, or something like that. This could actually go a lot further if you wanted...:eek:

Below are some other ways I use this technique in one way or another. All the little bolts and handles are fakes, made from wooden stir sticks, pvc, and plaster cast in little bolt molds. The gague is just the top of the spray paint can with a paper dial. I think you'll get the idea....

Thanks for following! Happy Painting!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Looks great! Are you planning on putting a light in the lantern. A flicker tea light would be kind of cool, and considering its frosted glass it would be harder to tell the flame wasn't real.

I need to find a Big Lots around me and see whats up!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
What the heck is going on??? I click on a picture link and it is NOT a lamp but mostly carved pumpkins and other props!!!!!

·
Disney Inspired
837 Posts
Lol!!!

If you go back and read the thread with the new pictures, it is quite funny!:D Especially the last picture with the high heel shoe!

I guess carved pumpkins are a form of lantern...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
18 Participants
daddywoofdawg
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing