Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sculptress of Scare
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I'd give you all a heads up on the packaged webbing that I got from 99cent store. This stuff is brutal to work with. I'm quite fussy about having my webbing look as real as possible. I like the webbing to stretch nicely and not clump and break as this stuff did. It took me forever to get that cheap junk to behave the way I like. It still doesn't look as good as the webbing I used last year, which I believe I purchased from Michaels. I would have purchased a web shooter, but it just wasn't in the budget this year. Ideally, that's what I'd use. So be forewarned...don't waste your money on the garbage from 99cent store....use the good stuff.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
right with you

thanks you LB , i see i am not alone this year with this crappy webbing :mad: , everywhere they sell this cheap one and no more cool super stretch web , i hate webs that look like christmas fake snow for village :rolleyes: i too like this thing realistic as close as i can and that doesnt do it for me .

that stuff wont stretch well at all , breaks easly and it is under the porch and when the wind blows the darn thing is well.... gone or all ugly again and look like snow.....why dont they sell some super stretch packed web anymore .... ? and when i say everywhere as that crap now well it is not just the dollar stores here all the stores selling halloween stuff ....

friday i went to a dollar store place and they had a bag witten streatchable and a diffrent compagny so i bought 2 bags and will try it tomorow or monday see if it stretches better .

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,865 Posts
I just ran into this today!

My hubby and I were breaking out the web to string and it felt - different - silky and whispy instead of the rougher and MUCH more compact web.

That crap would NOT work no matter how we worked with it. It would pull apart as soon as you started stretching it and was too silky to really catch and just plain sucked.

We went to Walgreens and picked up two packs of their stuff and it was the GOOD web - the stiffer, rougher, beautiful web that looks perfect when stretched and doesn't break apart.

I don't remember where I got the other stuff, but it's getting used for crap projects now.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but you get what you pay for!

I bought that 99 cent store stuff last year and it was utter CRAP!!! I bought some web after Halloween last year at Big Lots and it was much better, but I didn't put it up (I had someone else do it!)

E

·
Sculptress of Scare
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only one year I had good webbing. I always give the webbing job to a helper,cause i just don t have the patience for it. What brand or kind do you recommend?
I don't know what brand I used, but I'd suggest looking for the stretchable webbing.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I use my web shooter and I love it! In case anyone is looking for a webcaster, We have TWO left which we are clearencing to 37.00 + actual shipping. We will be shipping it priority mail 2-3 days so it will be guranteed for halloween. message me if you would like one.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
I've yet to have luck with any webbing, expensive or cheap. I don't have much patience for the stretching and arranging and removing stretching putting back and trying to make it look relaistic...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've yet to have luck with any webbing, expensive or cheap. I don't have much patience for the stretching and arranging and removing stretching putting back and trying to make it look relaistic...
It can be hard to work with and does take patience.
I think I did a pretty fair job with it last year

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use my web shooter and I love it!
I agree. Picked one up last year at the local huge Halloween store, and couldn't be happier. It kicks butt! They are around $40 if you can find them locally, and well worth it. Just gotta have a compressor. We went nuts with ours. The pix below are just a few items we sprayed. Damn near the entire fence was covered in webs! :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I love the ease of a webcaster, but it's not so great if you have a live actor underneath.

Thanks for the heads up on Walgreens - the stuff at Target was a no-go this year. I've encompassed my entryway in webbing for the past 5 years or so and have the good stuff down by sight. If it's in a giant clump, pass it by. If it looks like ribbons of webbing, that's the good stuff. For the past 2 years, the good stuff had purple writing on clear bags. I can't remember where I bought it tho. :( Hoping Wally World will bless me this week with a score, I need about 10 bags.

Stacy

A

·
0 Posts
Pro 90 Webbing

Found this on the following website:
Props for Rent :: Cob Webbing

I haven't used this process but it looks fairly easy with good results.

HOW TO DO PRO 90 WEBBING
For really excellent, realistic webs, try the Pro 90 technique.
1. Start with ordinary stretch webbing, pull it tight and thin, but don't worry about over working it at first.
2.Once the stretch webbing looks okay (not great), spray it with 3M 90 spray. This aerosol adhesive forms tiny strands that create cross webs. The glue also reinforces the cotton, so the strands are more visible. WARNING- this is glue, so it is difficult to clean up. Also keep away from open flames.
3. Now that the spider web is sprayed with glue you can sculpt the web even more. While it's tacky, you can stretch out clumps of web, stick it to other parts of your set or prop, create holes in the web and more.
4. If you need the web to be more visible, try misting it with spray paint or dry brushing it once the glue has dried.
5. Use scissors to trim any excess.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have never tried that and honestly I'm not sure that I would. I am an art major and I have used the spray for glue as it is meant to be used and I don't see it causing extra "web lines" and I really don't think it's going to thin down places like the before and after picture are showing. Not trying to burst your bubble. Just wanted to let you know my opinion. I also know that many places that reupholster the inside of a car (roof) use the spray and that's how durable it is so when they say hard to clean up they aren't kidding. :) Good luck if you try it and I'd love to see the results if you can get it to work somehow.

·
Registered
252 Posts
We bought some of that crappy web as well. I thought it was different, but wasn't sure and thought maybe we were losing our touch. I'm glad for this thread to let me know it isn't us!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I got tired of using that webbing and I don't have an air compressor. I know it doesn't
look nearly as realistic, but I switched to beef netting last year and it has proven to be MUCH easier to work with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts