Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading so many threads, and I have so many ideas, but I have no place to store some of the larger items (like Columns, etc).

I tried searching, but I couldn't find a good thread about this. How long would something like a column last if it was stored outside year-round? (A pink styrofoam one)?

Thanks in advance
Charles

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
This is a good question, and everyone will have different answers.

I store stuff in my attic, in my 6x6 shed, and this year I will also store larger props under a new addition I built off the back of the house. I removed our deck last fall and built a new sun room. The room is raised off the back of the house, so there's about a four foot clearance beneath. Should be good for the mausoleum and garden pillars.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I think the key is to keep it out of the wind and as dry as possible. I think my new counter is going under the deck this year as I have no idea where else to put him. Beyond that I do my best to plan ahead. Like structures that I can break down into several parts so it will fit up top the garage.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've got a full sized attic, a 3 car garage, some closet space, and I store my 8x4ft facades behind the garage. KEEP THEM OUT OF THE ELEMENTS!

I built some huge columns several years ago when I lived with my in-laws (separate house on their property). I had NO indoor space to put them without renting a storage unit... decided to park them by the shed. They were ruined in a month. Rain isn't so bad, but it eventually warps wood... then you've got tree branches that fall (one went right through the middle)... and animals (had a dog that would chase something under the shed, but would make sure to run into the columns).

Anyway, there's just too much that could happen outside to risk such fragile decor. Unless the project can withstand some beating, find a spot inside, make it to where it can break down, or only make projects that you know will fit (example, my facades are all wood... right now they're wrapped in 2 layers of tarp and raised a foot off the ground - stay dry!)

Good luck.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a storage unit. Christmas and Halloween decorations are stored in it, with all the other "stuff" you accumulate after 23 years of marriage. Oh the kids are still in the house, ATM.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
We have a problem with space as well. We try to make all our props so that they are easy to break down into smaller pieces after halloween.

MsM

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Build a big shed....I built one for about 1/5th the price of a TuffShed. It's a lot cheaper than renting a storage unit if you have the space for the shed. Another thing I did was on the "unused" side of the house, was building a lean-to. Nothing, fancy, but it keeps the weather off stuff and the house and fence act as walls and provide added protection from the weather.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 1/2 acre lot, with a 12'x24' shed currently (but it doesn't have that much space due to my car stuff...). My 2 car garage has ZERO space, I can't even park my daily drivers in there. I live in florida, so no basement, and my attic is a joke. I would add another shed if my HOA would let me, but since my current shed is slightly bigger than HOA reg's, I don;t want to push my luck.

A lean-to....hmmmm... that's a thought

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
cover them with a tarp...or wrap in plastic trash bag, tape up, then throw a tarp over it.

Decorate with broken washing machine in front...:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Props made of styrofoam as mentioned will wear fine outside as long as you use proper adhesive. I don't recomend using wood studs for structure, because they are sure to warp. You will need to use a good primer and exterior paint. An even better option would be to use a foam coating or stucco finish. I posted an example of the cemetary walls and collumns that I built with no sub structure. (styrofoam only w/ paint).

Demand Products EIFS, Foam Cutting, AAC, ICF, SIPs

Durabond Products Limited

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have become a master of organizing my garage. It is amazing what I can fit in there and two cars. I too used the "unused" side of my house for last years facade. Needless to say it was warped and taken apart after six months. The trick is good weatherproofing even here in sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I leave them up all year, they look great in July next to my plastic Santa! j/k...I use my shed and attic. my attic has more space but is sooo hard to get up there and get things stored without banging them on all the rafters. I'm making a bunch of big props this year so I may have to go for the rental storage space this year (sigh)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have a 1/2 acre lot, with a 12'x24' shed currently (but it doesn't have that much space due to my car stuff...). My 2 car garage has ZERO space, I can't even park my daily drivers in there. I live in florida, so no basement, and my attic is a joke. I would add another shed if my HOA would let me, but since my current shed is slightly bigger than HOA reg's, I don;t want to push my luck.

A lean-to....hmmmm... that's a thought
When I was in the same situation, I found that moving everything out of the shed, putting brackets and shelves on the wall to hold stuff off the floor, and then carefully re-packing it in a logical manner (Halloween and Christmas along one side wall, yard stuff on the other side wall, and "storage" across the back and in the rafters) gave me back 20-30% of the space I previously though was "full".

My parents had a similar problem. In their house, they found extra space by putting a floor into their heater room and in the rafters of their garage.

I think, and others will concur, that the only solution to your problem, which will get worse as you add additional props, is to move out of your HOA controlled community.

Craig

1 - 13 of 13 Posts