Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for a definitive answer to this question but didn't find one. If somebody could answer this or re-direct me I would appreciate it.

I Have a huge gutter ghost that I bought last year and I'm putting up this year. Found out this week that t's photoluminescent (glows in blacklight). I have it hanging up but I would love to make it glow but I need a black light with these 3 criteria:

1. Inexpensive
2. Able to illuminate a large area
3. Outdoor compatible because we get a fair amount of rain here in Tennessee

Baring in mind I am not handy at soldering so making my own 1000 LED spotlight just isn't in the cards.

Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks, Marc V.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Spirit has a "black light" LED spotlight that is outdoor safe. It's more of a purple light, so IDK how much it'll help. I'll play around with mine tonight once it gets dark. It's $24.99 and then with the coupon its not a bad deal.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would appreciate your looking into it tonight for sure then letting me know. Times a wasting and money is getting tighter as the month go's by. Thanks in advance Crazy.

Marc V.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I just bought the black light flood from Target. Will be setting it up shortly on some outdoor ghosts I have, I'll let you know how it works.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks sookie....got to love the help and positive attitudes from all the members on this site.

Marc V.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm interested in your results too! I have the same problem, need a blacklight for outdoors- I bought a blacklight spot at Lowe's and it turned out to be just a purple light (I guess- not really sure WHAT it does, exactly- it doesn't cause fluorecense and it doesn't provide any light, really...)

·
Registered
708 Posts
I got a smaller LED spotlight from Spirit and it makes stuff glow, just not sure how far it would shine. Cost 12 bucks i think.

·
black light queen
2,506 Posts
i tested the black light led light from big lots ... apparently same as walmart

don't bother ... purple and very little, if any, black light effect ... real black light leds are EXPENSIVE

something that might work would be those compact fluorescent black light bulbs that are sold everywhere ... (stay away from the incandescent bulbs) ... in a shop/work/brooder reflector ... no this isn't waterproof, but you might consider using a plastic bag over everything ... not sure if the bulb generates enough heat to melt the bag

amk

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot for the input guys. Trying to get it right the first time so I won't have to put out big bucks for a bunch of things that won't work. And if I purchase from H-ween Express or Spirit, all sales are final...I can't stand that.

Marc V.

·
Registered
253 Posts
They do make UV spotlights for outdoor use. Ive seen them before at many places. Can name them off hand, check out all the Halloween stores online and in your area. Sears, Home Depot, lowes and such. Good luck!

·
Registered
368 Posts
They sell CFL (the one that looks like a corkscrew/spring) Blacklight bulbs at Home Depot and the like. I screw them into the metal clamp fixtures which makes them more intense. 2 or 3 of these will easily light up your prop. The more dark the surroundings for your prop, the better, when it comes to blacklighting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts