Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to build re-usable wall panels for my yard haunt. I ordered 60" burlap (100 Yards) to build out the panels, 7 feet tall. My walk through is a cemetery theme and I was thinking about monster mudding the burlap sheets on the panels to keep them from rotting since I will store them outside and they would match the cemetery decor.

Anyone have any experience with doing something like this? Any reason I should not do it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you monster mud them, you would need another protective coat to protect it from weather. I also think these could be very heavy to move about. What are you attaching the burlap to, pvc, wood?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Isn't monster mud a paint and drywall mud mix? I would think that would lend itself to mold if left outside (even if they are tarped). My panels I use 1x3 and skin them with 1/4 plywood. But I would love to see your finished product it sounds like a great idea.

1,291 Posts
We've made a few Monster Mud "reapers" and all are stored outside under an old outbuilding.... Just a roof no sides. We live in the PNW so LOTS of rain most of the year. Every year I try to recoat them with Spar... a marine varnish. Our first one made gosh over 10 years ago has the fabric rotting off at the bottom where it's closest to the dirt, wet and has more flex when I move them around. Can't say I've every had a problem with mold but they don't sit out in the rain for more then a few days before going back under a roof. I don't think they'd be any heavier then a plywood panel certainly cheaper. Not nearly as durable as a plywood panel. Monster Mud, in my case, doesn't take a lot of man handling before cracking and doing some peeling off. Unlike plywood I doubt MM coated burlap will keep the panels from twisting some or out going out of plumb. All then flexing won't do you MM any good. Without regular recoating of a protective varnish MM can soften and go mushy.

Our first year building props we did a small bone wall using foam board and coating foamboard and all the bones and skulls in MM. Didn't last a year before breaking up and flaking. Just too much flex in the foamboard or the MM didn't like sticking to the cheap plastic bones and skulls.

A second thought for making panels is to build your frame and use weed block stapled to it. It comes in a couple of colors - Black, gray and brown. Very light weight... cant take any weather and live. We made a few panels to fit one of our tarp buildings using weed block and then spray adhesived a large Scene Setter onto the weed block. I also made a castle wall by making a gray weed block panel then painting "stones" onto it.

A last thought... if money is no object LOL Rhino Liner. I know a pro haunter who a number of years ago made a HUGE 2 plus story castle facade using wood frames, muslin sprayed with Rhino Liner... He did a couple of life sized elephant butts that way and later sold them to me, they have been barely sitting under a tarp for over 5 years and they look good as new. I can easily pick one of them up, don't have to worry about them needing to be recoated in anything. If I could afford it I would do a bunch of panels using Rhino Liner.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They will be exposed to the elements while stored outside, leaning against a shed in the off season. If they do grow mold I will be that much happier, because that is the aesthetic that I am hoping for in a cemetery theme. Thanks for the heads up on the flaking. I am trying to think through if that will be a bad thing too. May look decrepit enough to fit. I will receive the burlap next week, so I hope to make 2 panels right away one mudded and the other just burlap. I will post the images if your interested.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My concern is a 2x2 frame allows too much room for the burlap to flex, leading to cracking. Especially if you don't incorporate some X bracing internally. If you plan ahead for longevity, go get foam sheets. You could easily use 1" thick foam, to make affordable but rigid-enough panels. I know I know, cost. That's why I say 1" and not 2". You'll have a very lightweight frame using 1" compared to a 2x2 frame, but more dimensional integrity.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have decided to build re-usable wall panels for my yard haunt. I ordered 60" burlap (100 Yards) to build out the panels, 7 feet tall. My walk through is a cemetery theme and I was thinking about monster mudding the burlap sheets on the panels to keep them from rotting since I will store them outside and they would match the cemetery decor.

Anyone have any experience with doing something like this? Any reason I should not do it?
If you want to create screen walls that can be reused year after year then don't use monster mud or burlap as both of these materials will break-down over time. My recommendation would be to make the framing out of 2x4 or 2x6 weather treated (wet location) lumber and sealed with a good exterior sealer. Then attach nylon "cameo" netting which can be purchased at any outdoor supply store. Both materials can withstand moist, wet conditions for extended periods of time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts