Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a few spotlights that spike into the ground from Home Depot today. They use a PAR38 flood bulb. I plan on using them to light up some of my outdoor props.

Saw some posts about incandescent black lights and the heat they generate that have me a bit concerned.

Do the same concerns apply to the colored incandescent/halogen PAR38s? I've been thinking of ordering some red bulbs. I'd prefer incandescents over CFLs so I can dim and fade them up for cool lighting effects, but if the heat they generate makes it a safety concern in case of rain then I'll consider otherwise.

This is where I was looking:
Light Bulbs - Buy Light Bulbs Online at BuyLighting.com

Suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
i would guess slightly hotter than white, depends on painted vs colored glass lens I think...but nothing like the 'blacklight'.

Get one at HD/Lowes and see for yourself. If placing out in the open yard, no issue. If putting in enclosed places or somewhere subject to being touched, etc - the LED is the way to go.

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
One thing to note about those lamps is they can be dimmed, while LED lights cannot.

That being said, I made the switch to LED last year and only use a few old skool bulbs for load and heat reasons, amount of light being less of an issue.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Par 38 colored floods can sometimes overpower your props by washing everything else out with it. LED is much more expensive but if you get good quality LED’s the results are well worth it. I have a thred going about them and you can view it here: LED par 30 comparison test to incandescent florescent lights
I saw your thread, thanks! Too bad your vendor is no longer selling them. I ended up ordering a couple from the eBay vendor to try out. MinionsWeb looked like a good source as well, but his are PAR20s which do not fit well into the spike fixtures I purchased. Trying out a couple bulbs here, it seems I need a PAR30 or PAR38 to get a tight fit (and stay relatively weather resistant). The package says PAR38s.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Since you'll be using these outdoors, heat shouldn't be an issue (assuming you're not keeping the spots in enclosed boxes or anything without some kind of ventilation).

The standard colored spots generate as much heat as a typical white spotlight.
The reason the "blacklight" spots become so warm, is the filter they put on the glass, to only allow light out that's at the higher end of the spectrum - effectively trapping the lower, heat producing wavelengths inside the bulb...so, the only way the bulb can shed that energy is through heating the glass excessively.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get one at HD/Lowes and see for yourself.
Went to Home Depot and bought a few different colors to try. They were BR38 bulbs - not sure the exact difference from PAR38, but they were definitely lighter and more fragile feeling. Tried out the red, and I thought it was horrible. It was 100W vs my white 90W, but the light was far softer and more diffused, and it was pinkish in color. It also go MUCH hotter than my PAR38 bulb.

Definitely not the way I want to go. So, I'm going to return these. I don't mind going incandescent, and might prefer them so I can brighten/dim. Can anyone recommend any incandescent colored bulbs?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered two of the LED PAR 30 bulbs from the eBay seller to test (one red and one blue). They work great with excellent color. The red bulb uses 1 watt and the blue bulb uses 2 watts. The surface temperature is only 90 degrees. I just received several more today and now I can start setting up.
Awesome... how long did it take to receive yours? I was hoping to receive mine, test, then place another order to get in time for Halloween... but now I'm wondering if I should just order more now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Too bad no one makes a wider variety of colors... I'd love to see maybe an orange...

I was hoping the eBay guy had a green and/or yellow, but I see only red and blue (and white).

·
redrum
979 Posts
I also ordered one red and one blue. It is awesome!!!!!!!!
I just ordered.......... oh lets just say alot more. (just incase the wife is watching)

The lights were so rich in color, no heat, uses less, lasts longer etc...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lights Alive does, but unfortunately that last batch he got from China is junk so he stopped selling until he gets the replacements in.
Yeah, I emailed him and he said November.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Went to Home Depot and bought a few different colors to try. They were BR38 bulbs - not sure the exact difference from PAR38, but they were definitely lighter and more fragile feeling. Tried out the red, and I thought it was horrible. It was 100W vs my white 90W, but the light was far softer and more diffused, and it was pinkish in color. It also go MUCH hotter than my PAR38 bulb.

Definitely not the way I want to go. So, I'm going to return these. I don't mind going incandescent, and might prefer them so I can brighten/dim. Can anyone recommend any incandescent colored bulbs?
Well, that explains my greenish blue flood lights and pinkish-red flood lights. After reading your comment I went and got the box of those three floods I just bought. Yes sir, they say BR38's. I didn't realize they weren't the traditional PAR38's. I too thought they were fragile feeling and the colors are crap! I had gotten these at Home Depot in the same section they used to sell the PAR38's. I didn't even verify (my bad) they were the PAR38's and now I'm feeling like a chump! I'm going to go to Lowe's and see if they have the PAR38's and return those BR38 losers.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts