Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Looking to add a giant spider to the Halloween house in Austin. My wonderful boy made the request but I have been traveling for work. If there is a link tutorial it would be appreciated if you could forward. My house is on a small hill. 20-30 grade to the street so the spider will be well viewed by the neighborhood.

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am building one right now.

spider parts.jpg

Here are the parts after being glued. The body and 2/3 of the legs.

spider stands.jpg .
Here it is standing after I attached the last leg piece. (was not sure if I wanted it glued at the time) I did glue the legs together, but they are NOT glued to the "body" for easier storage.

I used 3/4 inch PVC from Home Depot/Lowes. I looked at the tutorial that Madame Leota referenced, as well as looking at Spider Rider, SSSGarry and TK's spiders. There is also a tutorial on the Home Depot website. The HD spider does not stand very high, but their tutorial is excellent to read AND that is exactly how I and many other haunters built the "base" of the spider, exactly. Just Google 'Home Depot giant pvc spider' For the base, I did not want to use wood and "U" bolts, personally, although they worked well for others.

ONLY because I wished the above mentioned haunters had put dimensions and tutorial on their posts, I will list my parts used.

3/4 inch PVC
sixteen 45 degree elbows
eight 90 degree elbows
four cross (x shape) connectors
I bought 8 ten-foot lengths of 3/4 pvc. I wanted extra. I use pvc a lot in other haunt props. You could buy 6.

cut eight 2 foot pieces for first section of leg (keep two of these as is; and I trimmed 6 inches off the other six pieces. Cut those 6 inch pieces in half to get my 3 inch pieces for the base/body

so you will have two 2 foot pieces and six 1 1/2 foot pieces for the upper leg at this point. You will also have twelve 3 inch pieces. You'll use eleven of these in the base/body. [You'll connect the four cross connectors using the 3 inch pieces and have a 3 inch piece coming out of the left and right sides of the four cross connectors]

cut eight 3 foot pieces for second section of leg
cut eight 2 1/2 foot pieces for end of leg (will rest on ground)

BASE/ BODY:The body, as I said, mimics the Home Depot tutorial. four cross connectors, connected by 3 inch pieces of pvc. Out the left and right sides, I only used 2 1/2 inch pieces, but 3 inch was my goal, I had to cut mine short due to an error {Note: don't glue the 45 degree elbows to the left and right of the cross connector all facing the same direction. Won't work!} I glued all the cross pieces and 3 inch connectors together and let it dry. Then I added 45 degree elbows all 8 pieces (4 on the left side and 4 on the right) DON'T GLUE YET!!!

LEGS: I used six 1 1/2 foot pieces and two 2 foot pieces as first part of leg connected to the base. (I didn't want them all uniform if you look at the Home Depot tutorial you will see what I mean) I connected them as follows to the base - start to back: 1 1/2', 1 1/2", 2' and 1 1/2". and did the same on the other side. added a 90 degree elbow to the end of all of those, I put eight 3 foot pieces and put one on the end of all of those, then one 45 degree elbow on the end of all eight of those and finally (to rest on the ground) eight 2 1/2 foot pieces attached to the end of the 45 degree elbow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here he is, all done! {posing with the hubby] spider DONE.jpg Used a fuzzy hooded jacket for head and body. Stuffed head [HOOD] with (believe it or not) a plastic take out pre-cooked chicken container), duct-taped to a dowel and pulled the neck cord tight. Inserted lights for eyes. Cut arms of jacket open and sewed entire thing together, only to cut two slits down either side :p so I could put over (and under) base of spider. Could have stuffed it, removed legs, placed 8 holes and re-attached the legs, but just did not want to take the legs off one more time. I did drill hole through the 45 degree elbow and leg end (where they are not glued) so legs would not turn/shift) Bolt & nut will hold all 8 legs in place.

Took me three tries to get this guy going, but the next one will be much easier. I sewed long thin strips of material (5 1/2 inches wide) of fuzzy, hairy halloween material from JoAnns to cover the leg and just painted the bottom of the legs.

A lot of other haunters use fiberglass, exercise balls for the body and for the legs: great stuff, spray and let it dry, carve it somewhat, spray paint it black, etc. Nothing wrong with that. BUT the material over legs and as body and head are easy, quick, lightweight and FAST (AND INEXPENSIVE). And for storage, I can keep the body stuffed (bubble wrap) or not. I will probably add fangs, (pointing down) as one last touch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts