Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outdoor "rock" shaped speakers: good clearance deals online or at big box stores?

Interested in potentially adding some dimensional audio to my yard haunt. So as people move from the street, along the driveway, then the path to the front steps--and possibly around the (grave) yard, I'd like different audio loops either being triggered or simply being played.

Seems like I always see those outdoor "rock" speakers--but not that I'm specifically looking for them in outdoor sections of large stores like Home Depot and Lowes (and even Garden Ridge--incidentally now renamed to At Home for my location), I can't find any.

If anyone knows a good inexpensive source for these--possibly ones I can transmit to wirelessly, please share. I do have a bunch of cheap FM transmitters, courtesy of DaveInTheGrave's help and tutelage (thanks Dave!). :)

Not sure what my budget is for this, but it's not high... so getting these outdoor all-weather rock-type speakers on clearance would be best.

I don't do any startle or gore stuff. But am a huge fan of Anthony Hopkins portrayal of HL in Silence of the Lambs. Although kids would have no clue about it, thought it might be cool to have clips of the "closer please" at one point along the path, then "closer!" further down. Would skip the part about the liver and fava beans, yuck!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I don't have an online source, but I once saw a tutorial about how to make one using foam & Home Depot spray rock-texture. A google shows that the pre-made ones are expensive, so I'll be watching this thread too.

I was thinking of doing something similar in my yard one year. ...maybe have a hidden speaker with a little girl sobbing (I've got a nice sound track for this & am dying to use it). or...I was thinking of having stereo speakers (could be rocks) with people whispering back and forth. It's on the nice-to-have, probably-will-never-get-done list. ha.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have an online source, but I once saw a tutorial about how to make one using foam & Home Depot spray rock-texture. A google shows that the pre-made ones are expensive, so I'll be watching this thread too.

I was thinking of doing something similar in my yard one year. ...maybe have a hidden speaker with a little girl sobbing (I've got a nice sound track for this & am dying to use it). or...I was thinking of having stereo speakers (could be rocks) with people whispering back and forth. It's on the nice-to-have, probably-will-never-get-done list. ha.
I love your idea about the whispering back and forth! One thing many people don't get to experience at Disney's Haunted Mansion is, when nearly all guests have exited the stretching room (at least in the HM at MK in Orlando), the gargoyles start whispering / speaking to each other. I've never actually gotten to hear the whole thing because the cast members ushered me out.

I'm sure someone, somewhere out there on the Internet has a recording of the HM gargoyle dialogue. If anyone knows of a source, please share. I haven't done much googling on it myself. If I find one first, I'll post a link. It may be something that got installed when they revamped that particular HM (e.g. when we got the cool M.C. Escher-esque endless stairways / haunted footsteps effects, etc).

What's cool about the stretching room in general is that the entirety of the room is circled with probably a dozen or more speakers. So you get 360 degree surround sound.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I love your idea about the whispering back and forth! One thing many people don't get to experience at Disney's Haunted Mansion is, when nearly all guests have exited the stretching room (at least in the HM at MK in Orlando), the gargoyles start whispering / speaking to each other. I've never actually gotten to hear the whole thing because the cast members ushered me out.

I'm sure someone, somewhere out there on the Internet has a recording of the HM gargoyle dialogue. If anyone knows of a source, please share. I haven't done much googling on it myself. If I find one first, I'll post a link. It may be something that got installed when they revamped that particular HM (e.g. when we got the cool M.C. Escher-esque endless stairways / haunted footsteps effects, etc).

What's cool about the stretching room in general is that the entirety of the room is circled with probably a dozen or more speakers. So you get 360 degree surround sound.
I believe (will have to double check) that I have the source audio for the HM. As for the stretching room speaker count, I saw a picture of a portion of it. If the numbers hold true for the room, based on the one full (and partial of another) panel I saw, it would be at least 96 speakers just to get that 360* sound when he appears to run around the room. 12 speakers per panel x 8 panels.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe (will have to double check) that I have the source audio for the HM. As for the stretching room speaker count, I saw a picture of a portion of it. If the numbers hold true for the room, based on the one full (and partial of another) panel I saw, it would be at least 96 speakers just to get that 360* sound when he appears to run around the room. 12 speakers per panel x 8 panels.
Oh yeah, I do remember seeing a flash photo pic of the stretch room and yeah, it wasn't a dozen. It was dozens. :) I've got a lot of the HM audio. But don't specifically have the gargoyle banter from the stretching room. I bet if I posted to the latest MiceChat.com "Long Forgotten Haunted Mansion" thread, someone there either probably has it or can obtain it. Believe several current and form HM CMs participate there.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Request for gargoyle audio from haunted mansion stretching room made over at MiceChat

I took the liberty of requesting the stretch room gargoyle audio from the MiceChat thread:

http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/136382-long-forgotten-haunted-mansion-effect-thread-7-further-realms-fright-587.html#post1057142661

Hopefully someone has it. Highly recommend keeping up with that particular thread if you're a huge HM fan. Fantastic concept artwork gets posted there and just lots of great discussion about the Haunted Mansion. It's the best single source I know of for information about the Haunted Mansion.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Check on e-bay or amazon. I bought a pair of outdoor rock speakers on ebay a few years ago (not wireless though). The first year I left them out all year. The bottoms of the speakers got muddy, but they're still going strong. I paid less than $50 plus free shipping.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I saw some at Costco. I believe the were in the shape of a lantern. Wireless. I think they were kind of expensive like a hundred for two. They were weather proof.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts