Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'd like to hear your thoughts on when you start to put your halloween props outside of your home. Do you wait until 2 weeks before? I'd like to get some numbers here so I can determine when to start. I'm assuming September is a "no"... lol ;)

Also, any ideas on "securing" your props to prevent theft? If so, what have you used to deter theives... aside from a spell or two...? ;)

Thanks,
HarleyQuinn07

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
First of October, or close to it. I like to have the entire month to build on and add to the display, but any more than that would be too long. I've never had a problem with vandalism, but I know many on this board who have, so it's something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who replied. myerman82... that's awesome! So you leave them out for just shy of 2 months! I'd love to start now but likely will need to wait until the first week of October.

Also, thanks for the responses re: vandalism... my neighbor's car was broken into the night before halloween and I'd hate to lose one of my precious props to some nut. I was thinking about creating some sort of alarm device if any expensive (or dear to my heart) prop is moved. Maybe overkill... I'll have to try to find some feedback on here to get some ideas.

Thanks again
HarleyQuinn07

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great, tkx all! And AMK, thanks for sharing context about 9/13... that's a good reason to put things out early!

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
You put your props out when YOU feel like it or when your kids are available to help move the funeral carriage and horse.

As for vandalism...it happens, but not as much as it gets talked about here. If you are really worried, join the setup and teardown on Halloween folks. Or you could invest in a video system that costs more than your props, so you can watch them getting carried off in the night. Maybe they catch the perps, but all they'll get is a stern talking too and a couple days of picking up trash and you'll still be out your props. If you don't think you can deal with it walking away, don't put it out.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
i will put out the waterproof pumpkins and tombstones the first weekend of october. I'll hang up Hilda and the swags about two weeks before. I wanna make a nice scarecrow for the pumpkin patch so that will go out somewhere in there as well...and depending on weather, the rest will go out a day or two before.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I start slowly on October 1st, adding more and more décor to the front porch each day, then the very front of the house and last is the cemetery. That usually goes up (partly) the week before. I add the largest tombstones, strobes, and foggers only for the BIG DAY!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all who replied! I appreciate your perspectives. Looks like most of us freaks do early-mid October... so I will likely follow suit. :)

Scatterbrians, lol, I feel like putting them out this weekend!!! I'm obsessed lately about it... I have OCD so I'm not surprised. ;-)

I hope everyone is enjoying the prep of it all as much as I am... I'm already on a first name basis at the local spirit store. :) I've been to CVS twice (for the posable skeletons with 20% coupon)... today they confirmed the items should be out by next week. One of the employees confirmed they would honor the coupon even though I don't have one (accidentally threw out the paper that had the coupon)! Grrrr

HarleyQuinn07 ;-)

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
I usually start with the Fall décor on Labor Day and it's all downhill from there. I try to keep from starting with the actual Halloween stuff until the 1st of October, but I tend to get antsy and start putting the decorations out sometime between the first day of Fall and October 1st.
I try to make it a slow process, putting out a few things at a time. I want to get people a reason to stop by the house at least once a week just to see what is new. I go right up until the end. I have some things I wait of day of due to either value or weather (or both).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I start decorating on Oct 1st. I like to have it up all month and everyone in my neighborhood loves to take pictures with my props. I'm really not worried about Vandals or people stealing. I live in a pretty quiet neighborhood and have never had any issues before. Living 2 doors down from the Police Chief and a block away from the city hall and police station I dont think I will have much issues.

To those who are worried you could make up a sign that says there is a camera when there isnt. Just the thought that they could be caught on video should be enough to stop them. Heck you can even get a "dummy" camera at walmart and put that up along with the sign. They see the sign and the camera and they will continue on their way.

Just my thoughts.

Mal

1 - 20 of 31 Posts