Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi~ newbie to the forum.

I have three teenagers and we are known for our annual Halloween parties. Each year has to outdo the last. We hold the parties in our front yard which is filled with pine trees. (I will attempt to post pics in the album section after this post.) Last year in addition to all the props, we held an outdoor movie on a 9' x 16' screen. We watched "Dead Silence." My husband and our friends also had a few scare tactics that they used during the movie. It was totally dark out there except for our fire pit. They kids really loved it.

But~ this year I would like to create an even bigger "wow" factor with a scarier mood. Thinking about sectioning off a huge party area with the black plastic and have a maze entrance with scare tactics throughout. That would be the only entrance to the party area. Maybe shrouding the area with tree branches or something. I know the maze is a tried and true event, but I am wondering if anyone has done a very large area like I stated above.

I am up for any other ideas as well. The woods is a great ambience for Halloween by itself. Just wanting a big scare and wow factor....

This year we are thinking of watching "Dead Birds." My husband even got some corn seed. We are going to plant it in the front, hopefully it will grow. We are using the evil scarecrow theme as well.

TIA
Kaye

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Howdy, Halloween Mom! You've come to the right place. I'd recommend taking a look at the volumes of earlier threads - do a search for maze and you'll probably get hundreds of hits...
Looking forward to seeing your pics!

·
Good Ghoul Gone Bad
747 Posts
I don't have any great ideas to add yet, but the movie thing sounds great! I want to do that sometime. Do you use a projector? What type of screen do you use? Our parties are always outdoors & indoors combined but I would like to add the cinema even if it's silent but it would have to be outside. Definitely show us some pics when you can!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Hi Halloweenmom and welcome. I like you am a mom of teenagers who also puts on an annual Halloween party. I totally understand wanting to outdo the previous year. I can tell you that ours is a Haunted House party. We have a huge party indoors with all the fixings decorations, great food, we even have a Candy Bar. The teenagers love being able to get thier hands in all those different types of candy. I put them in all sorts of fancy glass jars in different sizes and I put labels on them. Cool ghoulish labels. Its a big hit, we also add a chocolate fountain. This year we are adding the Mr. softie ice cream man. He will be coming to our house just for us for a flat fee all the icecream they want.
Now for the outside we have a big Haunted House. We build a frame all the way around the outside of our house. We close it off so it is one big tunnel and maze if you will. we section off scenes with the black plastic. In there we have all sorts of props and music and fog and lightning. I even have some people in there to jump out every now and then. It is the highlight of the party and the kids cant wait to come. Every year when my son goes to school with the invitations the kids go crazy. Even though they are teenagers I still have parting gifts for them. This year really cool coffins filled with goodies the teenagers will love. I hope you can use some of these ideas. Good luck.

Spooki Mama

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Teen Party

That sounds so cool! Do you have pics that I can see?

Do you have a problem with the teens wanting to sneak off to a nice dark quiet area of your maze for some make out time? Our highschoolers we don't have that problem with, yet, but the middleschoolers, boy you have to watch them like a hawk. How many come to yours? Do they stay inside mostly or outside mostly?
TIA
Kaye

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,435 Posts
Hey Spook
I wanted to ask you about your maze. Do you have issues with killing the grass or anything by doing it? How long is it up?

Oh, and btw, did you get the FL forum straightened out? Ghostess put a slider bar on the left and has also added more options.
;D
Val

·
Imperial Hybrid (7)
706 Posts
Sounds like a really great time. Outdoor movies. Hum? Will have to check into that site you spoke of Halloween Mom. Spookilicious Mama - those candy treat idea was great too. I know a whole lot of adults would be just as crazy about that idea. What a great dessert table.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
That sounds so cool! Do you have pics that I can see?

Do you have a problem with the teens wanting to sneak off to a nice dark quiet area of your maze for some make out time? Our highschoolers we don't have that problem with, yet, but the middleschoolers, boy you have to watch them like a hawk. How many come to yours? Do they stay inside mostly or outside mostly?
TIA
Kaye
hey there that is so funny you mentioned that because that is exactly correct, my highschoolers are not a problem but my middle schoolers friends oh boy. I am on contant guard duty with them. I have a few older kids come to help me with that actually. I give them a post :) I do not have pictues sadly but i will this time. I can give you more detail in a pm if you would like. I have about 22 to 40 kids come. they do both inside and out. Inside in the beginning then once they go throught the haunted house a few times they are back and forth with the inside and out.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Hey Spook
I wanted to ask you about your maze. Do you have issues with killing the grass or anything by doing it? How long is it up?

Oh, and btw, did you get the FL forum straightened out? Ghostess put a slider bar on the left and has also added more options.
;D
Val
Hey Ish,
I only keep it up for the party and then Halloween. It does do a number on my grass but it comes back pretty quick. I will definatley check out the site again later tomorrow. Thanks

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Sounds like a really great time. Outdoor movies. Hum? Will have to check into that site you spoke of Halloween Mom. Spookilicious Mama - those candy treat idea was great too. I know a whole lot of adults would be just as crazy about that idea. What a great dessert table.
The candy Bar is a huge hit everytime. It would be for adults as well. Get lots of really cool glass jars in all different sizes. you can find them at homegoods or tj max, Get the ones with the lids that makes for a nice look. Put some great labels on them and your good to go. The chocolate fountain they love too. I have one with white and milk chocolate and I put out marshmellos and pretzels and strawberries and pound cake what ever you think they might like to dip.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just checked out your pics, Halloween Mom! What a great space for a Halloween party. I love the outdoor movie idea. Looks like you guys had a great time!! :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
We did a 3-D movie night in our garage last year and projected on the garage door. We have a big garage and 26 kids showed up. We had foggers running outside with our big inflatable house up and a few tiki's burning we keep the movie PG rating too many little kids and we did have a few costume actors and some props running. It was a huge hit may step it up to a PG-13 rating this year.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Ish,
I only keep it up for the party and then Halloween. It does do a number on my grass but it comes back pretty quick. I will definatley check out the site again later tomorrow. Thanks

So you keep it up like a week? How does it hold up with Florida rain storms and wind? My husband is afraid it would withstand GA weather for long. What's yours made of? The Frame too? Oh yea, what sort of scares and decor do you have? Sorry for all of the questions.

Thanks.
Kaye

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
So you keep it up like a week? How does it hold up with Florida rain storms and wind? My husband is afraid it would withstand GA weather for long. What's yours made of? The Frame too? Oh yea, what sort of scares and decor do you have? Sorry for all of the questions.

Thanks.
Kaye

Questions are what this is for girl, no sorry needed. Well We make the frame with 2X4's. He puts them about I dont know maybe 6 or 8 feet apart. We build the frame a week before we need it. We leave it up uncovered so that doesnt hurt the grass. Now He has it set up so the tarp is on but can be rolled up on the sides when we are not using it. So...the only time the tarp is up is for the party and Halloween. Two nights. Maybe Three. He does a really good job so when it rains it doesnt ruing the inside. You could literally stand there under it and not get wet. Like I said he rolls the tarp up on the sides when not in use so the grass gets sun and rain. So minimal damage. He's really tweaked it over the years so if you need more details I can have him give me the exact instructions and pm you. He makes the frame by putting the 2X4's into the ground, they have to be in there really good so they re sturdy enough to hold up the roof. Oh yes and he puts 2X4's across the where the roof would be as well to help keep the tarp from sagging during those storms we get during that time.
Now for decor. oh boy well we have everything, props of all sorts, music and fog and lights, one of the things that is a big hit is the black light scene. I took a ton of skeletons and spray painted them each a glow in the dark color, I also took tombstones and took the same glow in the dark paint and accented different pieces on them. Then we mount really big black lights all along the side of the fence to make everything glow. We make a cememtery with kind of a joke twist. The skeletons are either playing cards, or in different postions dancing, One year we hung a disco ball in there, the silver kind and had the colored turining ball that goes with it and had music jamming in there. You can get really creative with the scenes. I think one of my skeletons even had a boa on it. They got a kick out of it. The rest of the haunt is more scary. I hide people in the trees and since it runs along the side of my house I put peopl in the bedrooms on the inside of the house and they scare from the side window. That gets them everytime, they never expect anyone to come from inside the house. Its so dark they never see it coming. I also have different sounding CD's like wind, howling, screams to set off the mood of each scene. I think this is getting too long so If you need more just let me know girl. Good Luck

·
Imperial Hybrid (7)
706 Posts
The candy Bar is a huge hit everytime. It would be for adults as well. Get lots of really cool glass jars in all different sizes. you can find them at homegoods or tj max, Get the ones with the lids that makes for a nice look. Put some great labels on them and your good to go. The chocolate fountain they love too. I have one with white and milk chocolate and I put out marshmellos and pretzels and strawberries and pound cake what ever you think they might like to dip.
Thanks- Do you buy just regular candy and candy bars...or do you make the candy. Either way chocolate is a treat. But was wondering if you had Halloween theme candy resources too. Have you ever added red food coloring to a white chocolate fountain ? I think it would be an interesting idea to have body parts dippers. But I am at a loss at what they could be....
eyeballs from marshmellows ? cookie lips ? Strawberry Hearts. Okay maybe I should stick to prop building. I can't think of any good body dippers. But sounds great and I think I will do a Candy Bar for my dessert table this year. Will start collecting interesting jars and containers now. Thanks for the ideas !

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Thanks- Do you buy just regular candy and candy bars...or do you make the candy. Either way chocolate is a treat. But was wondering if you had Halloween theme candy resources too. Have you ever added red food coloring to a white chocolate fountain ? I think it would be an interesting idea to have body parts dippers. But I am at a loss at what they could be....
eyeballs from marshmellows ? cookie lips ? Strawberry Hearts. Okay maybe I should stick to prop building. I can't think of any good body dippers. But sounds great and I think I will do a Candy Bar for my dessert table this year. Will start collecting interesting jars and containers now. Thanks for the ideas !

I do both. I fill the jars with everything from M&M's twizzlers, smarties, kitkats, gumballs, peppermint sticks(orange for halloween) Actually I try to get all of the candy in halloween colors, gummy worms, candy corn of course, it try to go to one of those old fashioned candy places where you by buy the pound. They have really some great ideas. I do like the red food dye to the white chocolate idea, not sure I would be able to get it really red though, usually when making candy red comes out more like dark pink, but I may give it a shot. I also with the jars put out cake plates with covers and put in their rice krispie treats, stack them all up. You can make those into something interesting im sure. You can find fingersa and severed toes for candy during halloween, that migh be cool in a jar as well. Let me know what you come up with.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Hey frogqueen just a tip. There is a thread here called Michaels 50% off coupon. You can print it out, I printed out ten:) Anyway you can find about 3 or 4 different types of the glass jars with lids I was talking about in there. Anywhere from about 18 inches tall to about 10. The trick to making the candy bar fabulous is using all different types and sizes of clear glass jars with lids. So if you print out the coupon that might help. Also i got some more this year at homegoods and tj max. Good luck just wanted to share that with you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts