Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for another thread on the subject, but didn't find anything about my "problem".

Going for the best possible results, I got the material from Atmosfx. I wanted to fill the approximately 90" across by 76" high opening at the end of my big porch. I got my frame made and material installed nicely, ready for dark and a final "test" with atmosfx Ghostly Apparitions projecting from the front. Other then the whole opening in the end of the porch looking a bit dark, all looked great and ready to go except for........

While the apparitions themselves look great, you can clearly see the whole frame of the projected picture, the edges of the projection. The only thing behind the screen are a couple of lilac bushes low and about 20" back, then the top of a house maybe 100' away. I am using the projector that came with the "projection kit" sold by atmosfx and others (I bought from one of the "others", but not sure which one). I had the projection filling side to side, but that leaves the "black bars" effect on the top, bottom, or both.

All other projections I have done were window and doorway from behind, filling the opening, so any "overlap" would not be seen from the front. I'm not sure I have that option here. Is there some other possible solution or do I work on a rear projection or live with these results?

I hope you all can understand my description and thanks in advance for any expert advice.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Sounds like what your seeing is the low contrast ratio of the projector. Low contrast ratio units will project a "gray" instead of black. The darker the area your using the projector, the more obvious it becomes. You could try to add some ambient lighting to hide it. If you go for rear projection, you may end up with bleed through and have a whole other can of worms to deal with.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fiddled around with projector settings (Chineese written manual is pretty much useless) and adjusted contrast from 50 to 100 with little difference projecting to a wall. I did adjust the aspect ratio from 16x9 to 4x3 and think that will do a better job "filling" my screen. Will test that after dark outside. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, Ginger.

My first thought was that all that would do is change the square to a circle or whatever shape you cut in the tin foil. I found that info on the atmosfearfx site and the picture of their results pretty much confirmed that.

However, I am going to play with it a bit and see if a bit of a formless opening may minimize the faint lines it currently has. I'm thinking that making a punctured hole leaving the edges of the hole a bit ragged with different distances to the lens might soften any lines or edges of the video to make it less noticeable.

Thanks for the tip on a matte box. I'll report back with results when this wind we are having dies down a bit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Kakugori. I have the contrast almost to max and brightness down until I could not tell much difference going lower. It helped some, but.......

I had a chance to do some testing tonight and it seems like my problem was a bit two fold:

First, the odd size of my porch opening was better suited to 4x3 rather then 16x9. I changed to the 4x3 and was able to get the sides and bottom to line up nicely leaving any bar effect on the top. I still seemed to have some hot spots on the bottom and sides at the midpoints, but not real bad. Which takes me to the second part......

Still having a border at the top along with the bright spots bottom and side, I played with some tin foil a bit. Having it right on the lens did not have that good a result, but if I moved it to about 2" or 3" in front of the lens, it gave a pretty good result. Best idea I have at this point is to tape a couple "rods" made from wire coat hanger to the projector and a piece of cardboard with a hole in it to the other end. Then play with and adjust that opening with tin foil until it looks good.

But if I have to go with what I have now, it will not be that bad. I know from prior experience, once you see something that isn't quite just right, it will probably always be noticeable to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts