Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally have our ship about done !!!
We have to add the anchor and various items around the ship, along with the cannons, but the ship is pretty close to done.

I an surprised how quick it went together ! We used the basic ship wreck design that had been previously posted. We used a wooden frame and then attached 1/2 foam to it.

For the float I plan on adding a fog machine IN the ship so fog rolls out of the port holes !

Hope you like it ! When the parade is done, we have to try to disassemble it and get it to the basement of our City Hall where our haunt is ! Wish me luck on that !

http://www.halloweenforum.com/picture.php?albumid=572&pictureid=5802
http://www.halloweenforum.com/picture.php?albumid=572&pictureid=5803
http://www.halloweenforum.com/picture.php?albumid=572&pictureid=5801

A

·
0 Posts
Wow is right! I am trying to something like that as well.

GREAT JOB!

BTW ... I did a couple of cannons that would look great with your pirate ship float.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Darn u two -- these props look great!

Lynn -- good luck moving that beauty!

aSu -- did u make those cannon balls? I tried to go to your link, but it wasn't working for me;(

A

·
0 Posts
Darn u two -- these props look great!

Lynn -- good luck moving that beauty!

aSu -- did u make those cannon balls? I tried to go to your link, but it wasn't working for me;(
Sorry, fixed the link ... they are the styrofoam balls from a dollar store. Just a little hot glue and paint! Easy to do!

·
Registered
147 Posts
TY for fixing the link -- your projects look GREAT and r just what i need, lol! My partner in crime desperately wants a cannon and balls for our shipwreck and the balls were really looking like a no-go. Not anymore, $1 store, here i come!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Lynn,
Did you happen to get plans from SoCalHalloween? That looks awfully close to the structure they did. I'm just curious because he sent me his cad drawings and that was a project I scrapped for this year, but would like to do next year.

He constructed it from metal. I'd like to do wood like you have and am wondering if you have construction photos -- The bending of the wood, angles, how to attach them were all concerns that I wasn't sure how to overcome. Excellent stuff. Excellent!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lynn - OMG! that is just, well AWESOME! You mention a "previous shipwreck design" - can you point me in that direction? Also, any how-to pointers that you can provide on this would be VERY much appreciated! We have a very simple structure (storage is a huge issue for us), but I'm sorely tempted to go this route instead! :D

A

·
0 Posts
AsU - cannonballs - where does the hot glue come into play? Just to stick them together? Or did you do some texturing with it?
Yep, the hot glue was to stick them together. I used a textured paint (Dry-loc) to add detail. You could use sand and paint mixed as well.

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't see the thread right off, but here is the web site for his ship...... I did copy from soCal... but I didn't get plans from him..... I just studied the photos. The basic structure was really simple.... the metal frame he made I just mimicked with wood. Then I used the flexible wood and attached one end to the bottom of the frame...... the other end we then bent to give it the 'shape' we wanted and attached the other end to the top.... we ran 3 of these along each side of the ship. The foam then attached to these. We then cut strips of foam and attached on top of the first foam to give the ship ribs and trim..

The Haunted Mansion-Northside

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hope my pirate ship, when finally completed, looks half this good. Great job.
I have to come up with an idea to make a cannon, and thanks to this post I think I seen a good idea in the picture of the cannon and balls.

A

·
0 Posts
Cannon Project

Hope my pirate ship, when finally completed, looks half this good. Great job.
I have to come up with an idea to make a cannon, and thanks to this post I think I seen a good idea in the picture of the cannon and balls.
If you check out my project site (link in the signature) it has some progress photos of how I made the cannons. It's not really a how-to ... but it does have more pics!

Good luck ... :)

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ME TOO!
Last night I made a sign for our haunted house to put on the float....... as soon as I get it painted I'll add pics.
Friday we will be putting the ship on the trailer with the ships wheel, mast, crates, burlap sack and the banners and signs... I'll get pictures of it then and add to this thread.

glad you like it! Its so great when you have a vision and the vision "works out "!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts