Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am gathering from reading forums and blogs that a lot of you have large crowds that come around on Halloween? I am not sure what it says about me that I live out in the country with few neighbors and NEVER get any trick or treaters (except the grandkids) and decorate just to please myself because I love it! Any one else live isolated and still decorate?:eek:

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I know there are a few here who don't get TOTers and still decorate. I know I would still do it if I lived out of the way...probably even more because I could have heaps of supplies laying around the yard out of neighbors views :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm not in the middle of nowhere but I am living in a new neighborhood that I hear has mostly elderly people and few children... I'll likely still decorate if the motivation factor continues to increase as it has over the last few weeks. I say if you have the motivation and the space and the desire, then go for it! If it pleases you that is ALL you need.... the grandkids getting to enjoy it is just a bonus! :)

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
We're not in the "middle of nowhere," per se. We live off a road that has a lot of small neighborhoods honeycombed off of it. However, we ourselves live down a long, dark dirt road that no parents in their right minds would drag their little ones down. So we don't get any trick-or-treaters.

As such, we don't really do much on the outside of the house. I put up a little cemetery, I hang ghosts and skeletons from our trees, and I put bat silhouettes in the front windows. But mostly we decorate in indoors. We have friends over for at least one party or get together, so at least SOMEONE sees that!

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I am gathering from reading forums and blogs that a lot of you have large crowds that come around on Halloween? I am not sure what it says about me that I live out in the country with few neighbors and NEVER get any trick or treaters (except the grandkids) and decorate just to please myself because I love it! Any one else live isolated and still decorate?:eek:
That would be us too. Our closest neighbor is over a mile away and very few houses in a several mile radius. Our home is almost a mile off of a small, very rural, country road so absolutely no traffic passing by our house. There are no children in the immediate area. To say we live in an isolated area is an understatement. We decorate extensively inside and out just to please ourselves. We have a party for the grand kids and another for friends, etc. but no TOTers. At our age we decided we should go all out for Halloween if we want and so we do.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
I live in an area that gets zero ToT's (not in the middle of no where but we are out of the way, main part of town is 2 miles away), I won't be decorating. The land owner probably wouldn't much appreciate me driving rebar and stakes in the ground to put up my tomb stones, and risk hitting the septic lines... so to save myself the hassle of having to hear her complain, I'll just decorate indoors while we're staying here, though I will put a few things outside, nothing that needs staked down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I feel your pain. I live in a small town of about 30000 people. We have an 8 block long stretch of Jefferson Street they close every Halloween and it gets all the tots. We live in your typical spec house subdivision and I go crazy with decorating and no else does a thing so no tots. I mean 2 in 4 years. It is discouraging but i keep putting it out. Last year just jols and a few inflatables, this year I think I will go nuts. If anyone is from western kentucky and would wish to join in the merryment pm me.

·
Registered
363 Posts
as I have stated in other forums I live on a road with one street light on the corner of my property and all the neibors if there home as I have new ones with kids
turn off there lights, but I like to decorate and as the years have past a few more seem to make it and with social media I think that helps, get quit a few
that come by car, I think they carpool sometimes a lot get outa one vehicle or a couple cars arrive togher and gather out frount still not a lot but its nice

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
We live very rural as well. Takes me 40 min to go to and get back home from town! ( so I really appreciate those posts that list what you all are seeing at the stores!) We wont get any trick or treaters here but do have a party ( costumes required ) with family and friends, most get invited to stay the night ( in a tent or the barn! ) to avoid drinking and driving on the rural very curvy road. Either way I would decorate ..... I love Halloween!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Let's put it this way our town has a population of around 2000 and we live about 15 miles from the town center. I think that qualifies as the middle of nowhere or at least the next best thing don't you? We decorate inside and out and usually have a small haunted house with cemetery and in the 20+ years we've lived here we've yet to see a single TOT. I don't know if it's the quarter mile dark dirt driveway or something else entirely. Anyway we do it all for our own enjoyment and for a few hours during the party we have every year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for the support. I do have to laugh that everyone has their own idea about what constitutes small. Just for the record my town is listed at 5000 and I live five miles from town. The town of 200 I think beats everyone...lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
I live in a relatively small college town on a street that has never gotten any TOTs, so I can definitely relate. I just go as crazy as I can with decorations inside my house, and I throw a yearly Halloween party for my friends, so that we can all get into the spirit together. I'd love to have a whole big haunt production, but I think that as long as I get to celebrate Halloween for myself in some way I'll be happy!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Just because you DO live "in the middle of nowhere," please continue to decorate.

I no longer work there, but I used to work at a place requiring a 1.5 hour commute north from where I live. Much of that trip was through "the middle of nowhere"..... and I do mean the MIDDLE of NOWHERE. There was one stretch of about 5 miles that passed through some kind of tree farm, no houses anywhere.... I was always so afraid of a breakdown there, because I would have had to walk for miles alone in the dark. Brr! [when you work 12 hr shifts, both ways of commute are by definition in the dark pretty much.]

It gave me a happy little thrill of appreciation when I passed a house lit up for Halloween.... it was like a friendly little beacon of cheer at 5 am. Don't think no one sees your decorations, because I can assure you, they ARE being seen. And maybe, like I was at that time, the person who sees your lights just might need a little cheering up. That was the WORST JOB EVER.... but I digress.

The instant Oct 1 hits my lights are going up. :cool:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Without my decorating, we would get maybe 10-20 TOTs. After my house became THAT house, we get between 70 and 200... depending on word-of-mouth from the previous year. I live in a rural area and was pleased to see a whole tractor-pulled hay wagon show up at my house one year!

If you can get just one TOT- I'd suggest providing a killer treat... like a $10+ (or whatever you can afford) toy. Believe me, when that kid goes to school the next day talking about the remote controlled dinosaur he got as a Halloween treat, your haunt will get very popular very fast.

If you haunt it, they will come.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts