Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 266 Posts

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Not only am I totally amazed at your talent in making the props, your commentary had me laughing my [email protected]# off!!!

Kudos to you both. I will be showing this thread to my hubby and saying...."See, we could do this!"

Can't wait for the next installment :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi everyone! My husband finally made my avatar, so I feel as I can walk through the forum halls and have a voice...You all might be sorry! lol Seriously though. There is some incredible talent here, and it's motivating for us. We love the project so far and appreciate all of your suggestions and accolades. Ghost and I are both a bit headstrong, but we always manage to work through our differences. I wouldn't want him any other way.

We'll have another update soon. We're starting to feel the pressure of diminished time. :eek:

·
The Duke of Spook
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
We worked our little fingers to the bone most of yesterday afternoon and long into the night. I didn't even get to drink any fun toddies on a Friday night. Just work, work, work. These things are hard! :(

Anyhoo... There really isn't much to show in the way of progress. Most of the efforts went into coat after coat of paper, a little cutting, a little adding, some smearing, lots of growling, but they don't look a hell of a lot different today other than the beginnings of a stem on good'ol Number One. We also decided not to let all of those little test pumpkins go to waste so we are finishing up the mache process on them too. We bought some dollar store night lights and plan to feature them in the yard set up as well. Can't have too many pumpkins! :D

We finally got too tired to continue with the mache crap (and my fingers were horrifically pruned up from the glue mixture) so we tinkered a bit with different colored bulbs and snapped some pics. In the end, I think we're going to go these orange 25 watt'ers illuminating red tissue paper glued to the inside of the face.

Hmm... I just realized, I never shared anything about my lighting process. I 'spose if any wishes to know they can ask. It's not rocket surgery.

This is a pic is kinda interesting. We lost the instruction book to a nice camera that is no longer made, so we friggin' struggle with night time pics. :rolleyes: I still thought it was worth sharing though.

We'll have a better update Sunday evening, likely.

·
Registered
90 Posts
These look great, I guess I would like a little more detail on how you got the lights in there, and how safe is it going to be considering standard light bulbs are hot and paper mache is made of glue and paper. Thanks, these are awesome, I think Pumpkinrot would be proud.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Your attention to detail, especially the subtle pose, is something to be applauded. It's great to see you two are working on these together. The creativity is inspiring. I do agree with everyone in that Pumpkinrot has done something truly special. Looks like you're well on your way down that same dark path. Keep up the great work!

·
The Duke of Spook
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
These look great, I guess I would like a little more detail on how you got the lights in there, and how safe is it going to be considering standard light bulbs are hot and paper mache is made of glue and paper. Thanks, these are awesome, I think Pumpkinrot would be proud.
Hello, and thanks for the compliment! :D

Well, I was kind of hoping that I wouldn’t get called out on the lighting set up because I forgot to take pictures as I was doing it. Also, like everything else I just sorta guessed my way through it coupled with adding it all after putting the heads on the posts so it really isn't a super professional appearing apparatus. I did happen to run my ideas past some others before jumping into it though. I'll give you the graphical breakdown of how I did it since it's easier to show you that way than to take a bunch of horrible pictures have you guessing at what you're looking at.

First off, the lovely Mrs. and I (Aaaprn) found some of these bitchin' lights at a scavenger store a couple months ago. They are can lights from a track system that came out of a Disney Store in the mall. We bought 30 of them all together, along with some giant spot lights to light our mature trees.

Since we bought so many we got a pretty good deal on them, therefore I decided to disassemble a couple to use for the sentinel pumpkin lights. The business end of these lights (shown below) is made of porcelain and is rated for 150 watt bulbs, so I know that they can handle what I need.

Simple white and black wires, hooked up to lamp cord, with a lamp cord plug wired to the other end. I figured going that route is no different than how my house hold reading lamp is set up. It was pretty danged easy to wire. I'm only using 25 watt bulbs, which may answer your hot bulb close to paper mache question, actually..... the 25 watt colored bulbs that I'm using (found here LINK) are only reaching temps at around 110 to 120 degrees. Basically, I can reach in with my bare hands and unscrew the bulbs after they've been on for a while. I'm kind of a wuss with my hands, so that should say right there that they aren't very hot. :p

Moving on.... I sort of had a crappy time imagining how to get that porcelain lamp thingy attached to the post, especially since my dumb arse had already put the pumpkin heads on them. Then one day I thought of what you see below. I took a sheet of thick of plastic and cut a rectangle piece of about 1.25" by about 4.5" (give or take) out of it, and then cut some V grooves into it, filled them with two part epoxy, and then fixed them into the final shape to dry.

(the red is the epoxy)

Once I had that shape, I drilled two holes in the bridge part and attached the porcelain lamp thingy (I'm sure that damn thing has a correct name, but I obviously have no clue what it is :p) and then glued the "feet" to the post, again using two part epoxy in multiple coats for added strength. If I had done this before adding the hulkish heads, I would have screwed it in. I just couldn’t safely get a my drill inside the heads without probably causing damage.

If I could go back in time and show my structure with the light assembled before putting the pumpkin heads on, it would look like this:

A close up shot would have looked like this:

After it was adhered properly, I drilled a hole in the pipe (at the base of his neck) and ran about 15 feet of heavy gauge lamp cord through it and out the bottom.

Then I did the other one. :D

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
Wonderful work, and great progress! I'm happy to see Rot's name isn't taboo here and that others draw inspiration from his sinister imagination! They are turning out amazing, and I for one, can't wait to see them finished. Congratulations on the progress so far. Looking forward to seeing more :D

·
The Duke of Spook
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
BEAUTIFUL!! I can't wait to see this done.

By the way...Rot has mentioned on his blog that he just buys the fake pumpkins such as what you can get at Michael's for his sentinels. :p

So yours now do have a unique twist! I've been trying to figure out how to get a mache pumpkin for my own scarecrow, and it never occurred to me to use the bag stuffed with newspaper. Great idea.

DOH!! :mad:

Man..... If I would have known that..... :rolleyes:

I have one of those white pumpkins from Micheal's, but it just wasn't large enough. They have some larger ones, but they are too "roundy" (you're likely thinking "wtf is 'roundy'"). I dunno, I haven't been able to find any that look extremely realistic, like 'Rots.

If I had this to do over again, I would have done the pumpkins LAST and the bodies would have been first. No question. Trying to maneuver around them while building all of the intricacies of the torsos is a giant stick in the eye. Plus, it just makes sense, as it would likely be easier to nail the pose down in a more interesting fashion. Plus, cutting the faces out after I had attached them to the posts? Bah... that was a dumb move on my part. But next time I'll know better. :cool:

p.s. The new emoticons suck. Seriously.

·
The Duke of Spook
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Well, I thought I'd post the weekend updates. It seems like we busted our butts all weekend but don't really have any "super exciting" goodies to show off. I'll spare you all the boring crap and only show what we did to modify the shapes.

First off, we were having troubles with Number Two. Something about him just didn't feel right. His body shape still had that frozen turkey look. Like, a frozen turkey with tubular shaped ribs stuck to him, and that was really bugging me. As you can see in the photo below, his neck/clavicle area just wasn't convincing enough.

So we cut that whole area out on both sides, with the idea that ever shrinking skin would be tightening around the ribs. We just had to fill in that area with something.

Turns out that masking tape was that "something".

Then, all we had to do was cover that back up with PM (I grow tired of typing PAPER MACHE all the time... can it be truncated to just "paper"? just "mache"? I think I'll start my own acronym from here on out!). You can also see that I had decided to fill in the entire clavicle area. It had a more believable look to it, IMO.

We also filled in the arm pit area where the new arm attaches. I'm not sure if I like this arm yet. I'm hoping that it'll gather more spooky character and style once the hand is attached. For now I'm afraid it looks rather bland. We'll see. At any rate, it's beginning to look a bit like a skeleton under tight rotting skin.

His other shoulder is going to be half way filled in, with a partial arm that'll look busted off just before the elbow. I'm hoping to achieve a look of raw bone dangling out of rotting skin and muscle at the shoulder. Another thing we decided is that the ribs looked better when we filled them in a bit more between the body and the ribs themselves. I dunno if you can tell what I mean by that without me being able to talk with my hands though.

41 - 60 of 266 Posts