Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

Registered
I would not go this route, it can and most likely will land you up in court.... You could land up recieving a letter from there lawer for for Defamation of character!!!!!!!
I think that would be Libel.
Defamation of Character is spoken, Libel is written.
Since it would be a sign it would be written

Typical Ghoul Next Door
They're probably upset because your haunt appears to have a roof. Once you put a roof on it, it becomes a "structure". Structures open to the public have to have fire exits and the like. You also need permits to build structures in most municipalities. I saw no fire exits, marked exits, fire extingushers, etc... in your pictures. I also saw narrow doorways. They're probably upset because you've built a structure not to code, without a building permit, and have created a potential fire trap. Solution: remove the roof and it's not a structure.

Are you collecting money for your haunt? It doesn't appear so on the vid. But, if you are, you need to stop. That puts you into the "commercial" class, and they can shut you down.

The fence needing a permit is complete BS. The only reason they could claim that is if you're putting up a "boundry fence". Are you within 6' of the street, in the assigned public right of way? If so, just move it back onto your lawn a bit!

Not a lawyer, just married to one.

Craig
Right on the money.

Do what you can to get it in code - the inspectors will hopefully work with you to address what needs to be done and your haunt can still go on! That will piss off the complaining neighbor more than if you did some passive/agressive stunt that could cause you more neighbor animosity down the road. And it would be safe and legal!

Haunting responsibly is what it's all about. Take the high road and don't resort to petty neighborhood wars; just do what you can - we don't need to give the Halloween haters MORE reasons to hate the season, right?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I moved the fence away from road and recruited a bunch of friends and neighbors to throw up the haunt last minute same same day and or day before hopefully it will all fall into place last minute but dam it just take all the fun out of it all . maybe we will not do the roof on the haunt to avoid being a structure. I did move the fence away from the curb to avoid permits and trouble I also had to eliminate some crosses with skeletons on them to avoid problems with the christian inspector and his church group go figure.

Grand WaZoo
I also had to eliminate some crosses with skeletons on them to avoid problems with the christian inspector and his church group go figure.
xoexpireu,

I'm glad I'm not in the same boat with you because if your statement above is true it would be to tempting to me to declare war and really shock them! Oh the idea's I have, truly I am going to hell! LOL!!!!!

Registered
I hope everything goes well for you xoexpireu! Sucky neighbors, well, they suck! Thankfully it sounds like you have a nice group of people willing to help you set up last minute.

HELLoween Ubber Lord
I moved the fence away from road and recruited a bunch of friends and neighbors to throw up the haunt last minute same same day and or day before hopefully it will all fall into place last minute but dam it just take all the fun out of it all . maybe we will not do the roof on the haunt to avoid being a structure. I did move the fence away from the curb to avoid permits and trouble I also had to eliminate some crosses with skeletons on them to avoid problems with the christian inspector and his church group go figure.
Christian inspector & his bible thumping group,kinda screwed there,that sucks.
Think I would respond with "it's my right as a citizen of the usa & my religious beliefs
that i celebrate in the way i do" Then take off all your cloths & do your best heathen dance in front of them all !!
Seriously though,why is it they can pound on my door to bring "the word of god to me as i need to be saved"
(like i don't know were the church is) but we can't live they way we want........ & we do what we do for the publics entertainment & the kids.

Registered
I have one address for you

poopsenders.com

I've done it 3 times. Its great :D

Registered
If you can't put it up, I would have VERY large signs in my yard:

This Year's Haunt has been cancelled due to <name of neighbor> at <address>

Feel free to thank him personally.

Registered
You catch more flies with honey, folks.

Do you know which neighbor it is? Go over to them with a goody basket. Make something nice (NOT poopy), sit down with them and see if you can work it out. Find out what's upsetting them. Maybe it's too loud. Maybe you're working on it too late at night. Maybe one of your props freaks out their kids. You are all adults - see if you can come to a compromise that will make your neighbor happy and still let you put on your show.

In the meantime, check out exactly what code you've violated and how. Bouncy castles and tents have roofs - they're not out of code. This is a temporary display and nothing more. Just a backup in case the neighbor is not-so-cooperative.

Stacy

Registered
In short ..very angry response...just go kick smash his head into some <insert long explatives here.......> and then... <more long explatives..> and then.........<yep more>... Then, I'd spend the rest of my year enjoying scaring the crap outta him. Make him think your a mobster or some crazy lunatic. (more truth in that part ;) )

Anyways.......<deep breath>... Just call the "building department" and politely ask them i fyou, or anyone, can put up a few Halloween decorations. Play dumb. "Do I need to get a permit to put up decorations? What about Christmas lights? Will I need an electrical engineer to document every light-strand that the entire community puts up? Will the City cite the entire Christian community for electrical code violations???"

etc etc.....

or go back to plan A <---my favorite. :evil:

Creepin When Your Sleepin
Here is my input. Do what the city/town wants for code compliance if you can. Believe me you do not want to challenge the city/town we have big lawyers. as far as the @sshole neighbor .......Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Because if you do everything the way you need to he want have a leg to stand on
and that will piss him off even more. Then the rest of the year do things to aggravate him but not against the law. Paint the side of the shed that faces him like the gates of hell I had a few dead birds in my yard for what ever reason they ended up in the pissy neighbors yard. She is crazy about her grass so from my garage I can pee on this one spot now is dead.....By the way this all because last Halloween she weed wacked down a bunch of my stuff and ripped down my spooky fence basically played GODZILLA with my grave yard and then said well it shouldn't be up She was in my yard

Registered
Wow, for 1 awesome job, and 2 tell your ass**** neighbors to get a life!! If it was me personally I would open it up on Halloween night and take my chances with authorites... Then find out all the codes & such for next year...Whatever you decide to do, Good Luck. ;)

Warlock
i would put a large sign on my lawn with the reason that i had to tear down my annual haunt theat everyone likes to attend and place the name ,address and phone number of the crybabies that were responsable..maybe these people will learn the error of their way.....
I would do a variation on this theme. Post a sign [ a large sign] telling people that the haunt will not occur because so-and-so [identify that neighbor by name] complained to the township. Hunt out people you know look forward to your haunt and let them know why it won't happen this year. If you know the names of the inspectors, put those in the word of mouth campaign. Be certain to watch the whiner and when he breaks an ordinance, require the township to enforce it--even stuff as stupid as the "trash cans off the street by 5pm" crap ordinances. Better if *you* don't report it at all, but some one else calls it in.

The fence needs a permit? What a load of crap!! I'd go find the rules for temporary fencing and tell inspectors it's a snow fence or maybe a trellis. For next year look into ordinances regarding tents--I plan to use one of those pop up sunshades as the basis for a new walk in mausoleum in part because it's a sunshade and *not* a permanent structure.

I feel for you. I hope you can find the ways to overcome this and continue to haunt .

Warlock
I would not go this route, it can and most likely will land you up in court.... You could land up recieving a letter from there lawer for for Defamation of character!!!!!!!
Perhaps, but only if it's not true. Reporting a *fact* is fine. If the inspectors came out because of a complaint, there should be a record of said complaint, and as such should appear in public records. I wouldn't post his address, but that's just because I think putting his name up should be annoying enough. You can't be defamed by others who are using your own documentable and proven actions. Don't call him a satanist, a fascist, or a deadbeat--because you can't *prove* that. Don't threaten him in any way, not even making him a tombstone for your haunt--some people are overly sensitive about have their grave prepared and this guy has shown that he has no sense of humor and no goodwill toward you. Do report that he called the township to shut down your haunt.

Where the township gov't is concerned, yeah, try for more flies with honey. Find out all the ordinances that govern this stuff and follow them as meticulously as you can, being sure to take full advantage of any and every loophole possible. Safety first, but scary second.

As for trying to sweet talk the neighbor, well, I'm not convinced. If he was willing to be reasonable, he'd have come to you first and tried to work his issue out with you. If I'm too loud, I want my neighbor to tell me before he calls the cops otherwise I have no way to know he's upset until the cops arrive. At which point I'll be annoyed that he wasted the time of the police on something I'd have fixed if I had only known it was a problem. This is our first Halloween [geez, it's barely our 2nd *month* here] in this house/neighborhood and I was rather careful when planing my display. There are a ton of little kids [5yrs and under] and i didn't want to do something too over the top. Until I saw the next door neighbor who has 4 kids all under 6yrs put out one of the store bought heads on a bloody spear props. I generally avoid the gore so pretty much anything I had planned is less than that. Well, less obvious than that. I do have a skeleton/scarecrow bound to its scaffold with faux barbed wire.

Registered
Regarding a sign: Only say what you believe to be true. A positive defense against libel and slander is your honest belief that it was true, based upon something other than paranoid fantasies.

Registered
xoexpireu,........AWESOME!
Holy crap! The electrocution guy.....darn, I want that in my home year round. lol

I know I'm posting in a really old thread but does anyone know that music that was playing in the youtube video? I want it, bad.

Any chance of an update?
How did the past 2 Halloweens go?

It's a trick. Get an axe.
I hope somebody can help you out, pumpkinheaded, good LAWD. That was gifted archeology, finding this thread. And you made it your first post. :)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts