Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

First post this year, wanted to show you all what we have done so far..... :)

We decided to not have our annual Halloween party this year so all we are doing is the graveyard scene in the yard. We've got some of the stuff up now and it's starting to come together! :)

We do a prop project each year, this year it was the 'Well to Hell', a 4x4 foot well with a built-in fog machine and laser vortex. The fog works really well, unfortunately the laser vortex is more or less a bust. It does work, just not as "well" as I had hoped! [hee hee, I made a punny]
I am more excited about my awesome columns! Thank you Raven Manor for the idea!

We have more stuff coming soon, as soon as we get some time to work on them!

Anyways, you can check out what pics/vids I have online so far at my personal site: ScareCrowe.com [best at 1024x768]

Let me know what ya think!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!

I can't believe I didn't see the 'old church' resemblance! Now I know what to theme for next year!

Well, last night it stormed. No, seriously it stormed! When I woke up today there was a river running down the sidewalk in front of my house and the intersection at the end of the block was completely flooded.

I am sad to report that the wailing tree did not survive the night
Between the wind and the rain he was pretty much demolished.

That's ok though. After doing that project I have some ideas on improving the design so next time it will be right on the money!

ok, I'm off to start working on the audio systems!

·
The Evil Spectre
1,220 Posts
That looks great...I am planning on making a well like that too for next year. What part of Central Illinois do you live in, I'd always love to come by and visit anybody's haunt.

Sorry to hear about your wailing tree, all that hard work for so little enjoyment.

·
Fallen Angel
7,061 Posts
Looks great! How weird about the storm though.....I had a nightmare last night that we had a severe storm and lost all of our whole display and the gazebo in the backyard. I had no idea there were storms downstate.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good Stuff ScareCrow

Well your name got me interested in an old Disney Movie about a scare crow and I just found out they are re-releasing it on DVD Nov 8th or 11th I forgot already. Anyway I love your stuff.

I've been playing around with styrofoam and PVC and trash bags to make some of my own stuff. I'll have to post a picture of my own grave yard here.

My son suggested that I put a front GRAVE YARD entrance and I've been trying to work something out in my head for the past week. I set up an entrance using PVC and painted it black, however it just looks like black painted PVC.

Then I saw your styrofoam posts. I love them. They would be perfect. Not too big, but I have a problem. They don't seem to be very portable. Light I know but when Halloween is over they are a bit big to be stored anywhere without taking up too much room or melting in a hot Texas attic.

So what I've done in the past to make a big surfboard out of styrofoam is to hold them together with toothpicks. the other problem with that is after a while they make huge holes and don't work very well after a while. The other thing is to use styrofoam foam which you can get at any hardware store. It makes for a good styrofoam glue. Take s few minutes to hold but is perfect.

Take the front and back sides and then cut two strips for each panel and form a track so you can slide another panel in and out plus it holds pretty good. Then glue about four square panels to form the bottom and then cut out the square two panels deep. This provides something for the styrofoam to sit in and you can drill a hole in the center, get a 12" piece of rebar and cover the part above ground with PVC and for a "T". You now have something to hold down your light posts.

The rest of the cutting is just angles but I love your two plaques on the front of them. how did you cut out the letters? It looks like you cut them out with something then painted it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Loved the stuff, the pillars and boulder...oh, I'm jealous. I wish my rock would have turned out half as nice.

What is the laser vortex for the well supposed to do? The fog looks good coming out. Can you add a red light to the bottom to light up the fog and make it look like a one way trip to hell?

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
Awesome pics.

I was going to say i thought i recognized it from last year, simply because of the massive prop on the side of the house.

You registered last year so it could be you, if not, someone had one just like it. But my mind tells me it's that.

Anyway nice. Will look through the other years tomorrow. Been a long long day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The "laser vortex" is a cool effect I found here: Laser Vortex

It worked really well in the garage, but not so good outside. I think the streetlamp kinda makes it hard to see.
Hmm, good idea, maybe a red light in there would work better.

OMGDan, it might have been me. I had the big head on the house last year, same spot, just gave him a body this year! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts