Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We threw our Halloween party last Saturday. This is our first halloween party and the first party of any sort that my boyfriend had ever hosted. We were working to finish things up after guests had started arriving and didn't get our costumes on till about 30 min after the party started.

We didn't do much food, just a cheese and cracker tray, veggie tray, jello and pudding shots (we still have plenty of both shots left over!) as well as a crockpot full of mulled wine and some pop. We scheduled the party to start later so we didn't have to have as much food and we asked guests to bring a bottle of wine or other drink to enjoy/share. We ran out of crackers by the end of the night, but had cheese and veggies left.

I made a lot of our decorations, mostly new but several things were a few years old. A lot of the guests didn't believe us at first when we told them that I had made certain things. I especially enjoyed the reactions to the hands reaching out of the wall along the stairs.

We played the Tempt Your Fate game. But I put my own twist on it. I coffee-aged a few sheets of paper, cut them into strips, and wrote the fates out on each slip, then folded them into stars. I put the stars into a fish bowl that I set on my fortune tellers table as a crystal ball. We briefly explained the game when we greeted guests and I also put a sign nearby that explained it. But next year, I need to make a kids version and an adult version. My cousin brought her 2 kids and they picked out every single "drink a shot!" fate that I put in that bowl. Every. single. one. Luckily, none of them actually said outright to do a shot, so I played it off like they had won prizes and no one was was the wiser.

Guests stayed pretty late, the last group leaving about 2am. I still have things I would have like to do or do differently, but all in all it was a success!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Sound like everyone had a good time. Our party is always the night before Halloween and we have never played games at it since I did not know how well it would go over since there a both adults and kids at my parties. . I think you handled the situation with the kids well.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Party Game - the last days of Edgar Allan Poe

Our party was Poe themed this year, and my wife and I brainstormed about a theme inspired game to play. She mentioned a game she's played at showers where something is passed around in a circle and the last person holding the item wins the prize. I took that as inspiration and came up with the Last Days of Poe. It was a letter written by Poe (from beyond the grave). We had the guests pass around a beating Tell-Tale Heart, either passing it LEFT (or FORWARD), RIGHT (or BACK), ACROSS (or variation thereof), or when DEATH (or similar) is mentioned, that person holding the heart at the time is out of the game.
The story actually followed what few facts are known or surmised about his last days in Baltimore. I worked in the Fort McHenry militia marching (left, left, left, right, left) street directions and whatever I could come up with to add those words in the story. At one point I had the Militia doing the Hokey Pokey (Hey, it was late when I wrote it and getting a little loopy)!
Anyway, it turned out surprisingly well, and everyone I asked said they really enjoyed it!
Our prize was the SPIRIT skeletal Swan Planter with a floral arrangement in it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your game sounds like a lot of fun! I bet you got a lot of laughs out of the Hokey Pokey part!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts