Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a ouija board where people can stand in front of it and ask it a question, and perhaps have someone on the underside/hidden under the table and be able to move the little pointer around to talk back to them. I feel like this can be done with magnets perhaps or something but I have no clue how to pull this off...

·
Registered
3,429 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but the ones I have seen online simply move randomly and cannot be controlled. The idea is for people to be able to ask the board questions and whomever is discreetly controlling it to be able to answer back, unseen.

It'd be cool if there was a way to control the pointer via phone or something but all those are just random moving ones.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Magnets. You'd have to have a reversed board underneath so that whoever was moving it would know where the planchet is moving.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Yeah, but the ones I have seen online simply move randomly and cannot be controlled. The idea is for people to be able to ask the board questions and whomever is discreetly controlling it to be able to answer back, unseen.

It'd be cool if there was a way to control the pointer via phone or something but all those are just random moving ones.
There's almost always a way to do anything but the fact that you said you have no idea how to pull this off points in the direction of an easy solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not looking for an easy solution at all., but I am looking for a way to do what I need to be done, or at least see if its been done before. The links you suggested are great, I've seen them already from my own research, but again, those are for ones that just randomly move across the board, not what I am looking for.

I admit myself new to the forum, but I would assume people who come to the tutorial request side are looking for the same. Instructions or guides on how to create the things they are trying for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Magnets. You'd have to have a reversed board underneath so that whoever was moving it would know where the planchet is moving.
That's what I was thinking, but instead of having two boards, just a paper printout of the letters and responses on the underside. The trick I think will be concealing whoever is on the bottom. I think I have an idea to have the board mounted on a slanted type of table.

I might try something

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
im not looking for an easy solution at all., but I am looking for a way to do what I need to be done, or at least see if its been done before. The links you suggested are great, I've seen them already from my own research, but again, those are for ones that just randomly move across the board, not what I am looking for.

I admit myself new to the forum, but I would assume people who come to the tutorial request side are looking for the same. Instructions or guides on how to create the things they are trying for.
Hey no problem. Like I said, there's almost always a way to do anything. Someone hiding under the table with magnets is pretty easy, (if you know someone that doesn't mind spending the evening hiding under a table). Doing this totally with electronics is a whole different complicated task. Good luck with your project, hope someone can help you out.

·
Registered
582 Posts
That's what I was thinking, but instead of having two boards, just a paper printout of the letters and responses on the underside. The trick I think will be concealing whoever is on the bottom. I think I have an idea to have the board mounted on a slanted type of table.

I might try something
You just scan the original board, mirror it in Photoshop and print it out. Depending on how you want to mount the board, you can always try the old mirror trick so that the table looks empty underneath.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
This is just another riff on the person under the table idea. I really believe if you have the manpower to pull it off, it's so much easier than trying to create a convoluted electrical controller approach. If you're going to have a person controlling the magnet from below, you might consider the option of leaving that person up on top dressed as a fortune teller. One arm would be under the table moving the planchette. You might even extend the effect by putting up a fake arm on one side and their free arm on the other. It would make it appear everything is happening without the fortune teller touching anything. And it gives you another way for your visitors to interact with the whole effect on a human level while still maintaining the creep factor.

·
Registered
303 Posts
it can be done, you would set up an x, y coordinate system, similar to a cnc, then move the magnet under the table to coordinates that match each letter. you would have to develop an user interface to communicate with the board, either thru a app on phone or someone hidden typing in the answers to questions. would you want to put this much effort into it? only if this was my only trick for the night, maybe. but it's probably for only those with the skills and determination to get it done.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
I've built many versions of an Animated Ouija board over the last ten years or so and they are not really that hard to build. Here's a link to a tutorial I made many years ago on how to build one. https://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/107554-animated-ouija-board-vent-motor-part-1-a.html
I used to sell these boards on E-bay, so I'm guessing between all those I sold and the ones I made for friends I have probably built 50 to 60 of them. Still have a few on hand. I'm even guessing that these moving Ouija boards that you now see mass produced and sold in Halloween stores are copies of the very boards I started selling on E-bay.

One version of a Ouija I sold was constructed with a "Reed Switch" in line with the power wire. (In case you're not familiar - a reed switch is a small glass tube with two metal contacts inside. The contacts only close to give power to the Ouija whenever a magnet is drawn close to the switch. Remove the magnet, power goes off.) This allowed the operator to secretly control the starting and stopping of the planchette (pointer) as it spins across the board.
This was only really useful for making "YES" or "NO" answers to questions. It was never meant to be accurate enough to actually spell out words or phrases.

Maybe some of this info. might help you. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Here's a link to a video of one of my boards:
https://youtu.be/BJSeMARhCKA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts