Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so is an oscillating fan motor a good way to get a prop to move, say a blucky marching in place?
i worked something up that i think an oscillating fan motor would be really good for instead of a WW motor.
but the fans i have found say 90 degree turn... is that in both directions or just one way?

sorry if this has come up before... i didn't really search to hard... if you can link me to a place that has the answers that would be great

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My concern over using oscillating fans is that when you remove the fan blades, you cut down on the air supply needed to cool the motor. I have read posts indicating there is a risk of firw when using this method. I have built an animated grim reaper with the oscillating fan, but I found the motor got very hot, despite the very lightweight styrofoam head it was turning and being open for ventilation in the back. I ended up using a PIR motion detector to trigger it and keep the motor usage to a minimum. I have now begun to use rotisserie motors as the primary motion for my props. They can usually be found in the clearance section in stores this time of year. It is a simple matter of building a linkage out of aluminum bar stock and a few nuts, bolts and washers to get the desired motion.

Eric
________
Kawasaki ZR750K

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,877 Posts
You can use an oscillating fan to achieve a few different effects:

http://usersites.horrorfind.com/home/haunts/monstermaze/props/animatronic_werewolf.htm

RF Haunt: Raymond's Halloween Website

Prop Tutorials - Halloween Haunt, How To Make Props, Haunted House, Decorations, Haunting, Home haunt, Projects, Instructions, Tips, Directions

I actually have a fan motor that I deconstructed to remove the governor that restricts the oscillation to a 180˚. Once I got the pieces off, the oscillation moves at approximately 5-6 RPMs in a complete 360˚ circle.

I plan on rigging my FCG (flying crank ghost) to the motor for true FCG movement.

The problems I'm running into are that it is difficult to attach ANYTHING to the section that does the rotation as the screws that would work have to be pretty small diameter, or I'll have to drill out the plastic (and risk damaging it beyond repair). I also am having problems mounting the entire motor to a stable platform. I have to have it laying on it's side, with the curved part of the motor housing on the bottom.

As far as the air circulation, I'm not blocking or enclosing the motor at all. It has been mounted to a support beam in my crypt, and will not be covered as it is out of the eyeline of any viewers, so it's going to have plenty of circulation.

So this should work IN THEORY. :rolleyes:

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow thanks for the info :)

i don't think i'll be covering the motor and depending on how i put it together i might not even need to take the fan apart :D

if i do take the fan apart though i will keep in mind that i must be cooled.

again thank you so much :):):)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts