Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is Oscar, the new caretaker for the Haunted Forest. I just completed him today and I think he will be ok. He is moving into the fortune tellers shack at the entrance to the Haunted Forest. The fortune teller will move deeper into the woods. His operating mechanism is a reindeer motor. I really don't recommend this motor for this prop because the moving parts are fairly heavy as I made him with 1" PVC pipe and fundamentally used SpiderHill Propworks idea for their commercial watchman.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Well done SP! If I may add though, he needs one of my Audio Servo Controllers to get that jaw moving, that would make this great prop into an OMG prop!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Hilda and Intelligirl.

daddywoofdawy, you are exactly correct. A wiper motor is definitely a better choice for this prop but...I DIDN'T HAVE ONE AT THE TIME...lol But I did have some reindeer motors so I tried one of them. It does work but it did take a little bit of adjusting to get the balance just right so the motor would work right. I would definitely recommend a wiper motor for anyone building something like this. Another option would be to purchase the prop kit from Spider Hill Propworks. Sorry but I don't have any photos of the build or the mechanism. I basically used the design Spider Hill Propworks came up with for their watchman only I modified it so I could use that reindeer motor.

J-Man, I would really like to use an audio servo controller to make his mouth move. The only problem is my limited ability to know how to do this and the limits of my budget. :D The mouth is on a spring and it moves up and down so the idea is it shakes up and down and looks like he is trembling with fear. But it really doesn't work that well. Maybe someone could do a tutorial on how to set up an audio servo controller and make it work. I don't even know everything that I would need to make it operate. :(

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Scary Papa [COLOR="#FFFF00" said:
J-Man[/COLOR], I would really like to use an audio servo controller to make his mouth move. The only problem is my limited ability to know how to do this and the limits of my budget. :D The mouth is on a spring and it moves up and down so the idea is it shakes up and down and looks like he is trembling with fear. But it really doesn't work that well.
Not expensive at all and super easy. There's no programming or computer skills needed. I'd be glad to help you if you're interested. Trust me, you'll be amazed how easy it really is. :D

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Looks fantastic! The movement is great.

And to paraphrase that quote about cameras, "The best motor is the one you have with you." (Ok, not really, but there's something to be said for the satisfaction of knocking stuff out in a short period of time.)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
J-Man, I would definitely be interested in learning how to do this. It would be so much better if the props I make actually talk rather than looking like a ventriloquist with their lips not moving. :D Thanks.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
Fantastic prop, Sacary Papa!
He looks great and the movement is excellent.

As far as the mouth movement---I would attach a short rod or plate to the part of his jaw where it pivots, then use a small motor with a cam or crank arm that would rotate and hit the rod to open and close his mouth.

(Not to take anything away from J-man's suggestion. I'm sure his way works perfectly, but I'm just a motor guy myself.)

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Fantastic prop, Sacary Papa!
He looks great and the movement is excellent.

As far as the mouth movement---I would attach a short rod or plate to the part of his jaw where it pivots, then use a small motor with a cam or crank arm that would rotate and hit the rod to open and close his mouth.

(Not to take anything away from J-man's suggestion. I'm sure his way works perfectly, but I'm just a motor guy myself.)
Basically a servo is just a motor with the added ability to control it's position. My controller does all the work for you in regards to the position, easy peasy!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey everyone, thanks for the nice comments and the 'Likes".

J-Man, I got the info you sent. Looks pretty "no brainer" to me. I think maybe even I can do this. I won't have time to put this to work for this Halloween as I already have several more projects to finish but I'm definitely going to get back with you and get a couple of these boards to work with for next year. I don't think I can get a servo in the head of Oscar as his "brain cavity" is full of foam (sort of like mine :eek:) but I am going to try to put a servo in the head of one of the skeletons I bought since they have nothing between the ears and they have articulating jaws.. Thanks..

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Hey everyone, thanks for the nice comments and the 'Likes".

J-Man, I got the info you sent. Looks pretty "no brainer" to me. I think maybe even I can do this. I won't have time to put this to work for this Halloween as I already have several more projects to finish but I'm definitely going to get back with you and get a couple of these boards to work with for next year. I don't think I can get a servo in the head of Oscar as his "brain cavity" is full of foam (sort of like mine :eek:) but I am going to try to put a servo in the head of one of the skeletons I bought since they have nothing between the ears and they have articulating jaws.. Thanks..
SP,
The foam head shouldn't be a problem, one of my characters is a Grave Digger that has a styrofoam wig head with an old man mask over it. I cut out a pocket in the side of the wig head to install the servo. The mask hides the servo and jaw linkage, works quite well. If you work on any servo installs, be sure to keep in mind the rotation direction that will open the jaw, HITEC servos will rotate CCW, FUTABA servos will rotate CW. You can always email me if you need any info. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
He,s great , i am sure he is going to be a hit on the big night , you done a marvelous job , excellent prop .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts