Halloween Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe this is new: Grizzly Gourd Frightronic: Grizzly Gourd Frightronic | Oriental Trading

Here is a video of the prop:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just don't get the price point at either place. It is cool looking, but I am not sure how to justify $500 for this. For that price I would want it to be including more scenery to mitigate the cost I would incur to frame it properly in my haunt. Obviously it is marketed to someone else, and I got a note when viewing it that said June orders ship in September but no day date given.

If someone does end up with it, would be interested to see how you use it.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,664 Posts
It's Distortions, it's American made, they back up their work & if there's a problem you can call them & they will actually help you with it.

They're well made props unlike most of the stuff HD or Spirit sells that may not last a week of being used constantly. They do a lot of stuff for the bigger pro haunts but have some affordable stuff too.

I'd never buy their stuff through Oriental Trading, I'd go directly through Distortions instead.

OT is for cheap Halloween treat bag stuff for me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought this was new because I clicked on new for 2022 link on Oriental Trading and I had not remembered seeing this before. Good point on buying directly from Distortions Unlimited. Shipping is free in US, so cheaper than buying from a secondary seller.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Wow, Distortions Unlimited has some amazing stuff. So talented!
ITA, when I grow up I want to be them, lol. If I compare the expected cost to pay someone to make a thing vs buy from Distortions then the purchase makes a ton of sense. It only seems high because we consider labor free (for the DIYers) and often augment purchased cheaper props to add detail, depth, scenery (plus we know they won't work for long half the time). That's my opinion on it, at least.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yep, I have seen some of their work and know they do it all themselves. Quality isn't cheap, and I try to steer clear of cheap animatronics that aren't worth the money charged, which isn't their MO. I just didn't see the up and down motion and prop itself going together in my budget and concept. I think it is cool and would consider just the prop itself without the mechanics for a lesser price. What I would pay that price for would be some type of mouth movement instead of the up/down. That would be awesome, as long as it is weatherproof. Now, how do I build that....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts