Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Didn't see a current thread yet, and y'all should definitely take a look at their site... especially anyone upset about Grandin Road's lack of figures.

Just got their Halloween catalog - it's got some great props and many on sale for the kickoff!! I attached images of each, but they uploaded out of order... so be on the lookout for the actual color/description in my text.

They have what looks like a Venetian Victoria with slight changes to her paint job and costume AND a lovely male companion for cheap - you can buy both for $99. (she's called Standing Ghost Girl and $80 by herself - so this 2 for 1 deal is a steal). They're both wearing white.
http://www.orientaltrading.com/buy-both-and-save-mr-and-mrs-rot-a2-13726180.fltr?keyword=Mr Rot

Mourning Glory with black hair and black costume $80 (looks to be the same face and hands as Mrs Rot above tho see pic with her Mister):
http://www.orientaltrading.com/mourning-glory-a2-13656879.fltr?categoryId=550044

Or get her as a set with the Mister who has lost his head over the missus ($129)
http://www.orientaltrading.com/mr-and-mrs-glory-animated-halloween-decorations-a2-13723174.fltr?categoryId=550044

Mad Madeline - a blond with an interesting face who has an actual person standing next to her for scale. $80
http://www.orientaltrading.com/mad-madeline-a2-13743275.fltr?categoryId=550044

Madam Misery Fortune Teller - love the hoop earrings! $80
http://www.orientaltrading.com/madame-misery-a2-13656882.fltr?categoryId=550044

Goth Vampire Lady - wavy black hair, nice expression and good looking costume (black skirt with maroon laced bodice) - $79
http://www.orientaltrading.com/goth-vampire-lady-a2-13703429.fltr?categoryId=550044

And there's a witch (with a great face), a skeleton cowboy, a creepy skeleton doctor, clowns, ghosts, and tons of smaller props and lighting and stuff... all for cheaper than I've seen.

Some nice skeletons:

Iguana
http://www.orientaltrading.com/halloween-skeleton-iguana-a2-13778434.fltr?categoryId=551135

20 inch crocodile
http://www.orientaltrading.com/halloween-skeleton-crocodile-a2-13779056.fltr?categoryId=551135

A COLOR ORGAN (granted, it's $40, but it's plug and play like the old ones from Gemmy)
http://www.orientaltrading.com/perfect-storm-special-effects-party-light-a2-13576502.fltr?categoryId=551274

LOTS of other decor and props - definitely worth checking out for any sales (I saw several things from Grandin Road and even Target for much less on here!)

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
I love Madame Misery, I've been considering her for a couple years now, not sure where I'd put her though.

That Iguana skeleton is definitely in my cart.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Here's some info about the Venetian Victoria and her male companion (aka Mr and Mrs Rot), which may make you think twice before buying. Last year I bought the My Beloved Figure and the Peeping Tom from Victorian Trading (both still being sold this year)....they are very identical to these full size props, faces are the same but are only half size (from the waist up). I LOVED my Venetian Victoria from GR from several years back, so I was all over these from Victorian Trading last year. I think I remember seeing a photo of the full size versions on the site last year but they didn't have any for purchase, so I settled for the half size versions. The let down was on the quality. Seriously, they are horrible. If any of you bought the life sizes from GR, you'll know that the heads and the arms/hands are substantial material. At least mostly....not to say GR never sold any lesser quality ones. However, what I got from Victorian Trading is more like blowmold material. Hollow hands and hollow heads. Their fabric clothing is very cheap material, and even their stands were cheaper than the norm (yes apparently they CAN get cheaper! lol). Overall I was really disappointed with them, but I kept them anyway because I got end-of-season pricing and figured I would repurpose them (I'm going to do a spin on one of those Katherine's Collection mirrors with the skeleton/haunted guy coming out of the mirror, but use the Peeping Tom instead).

I'm gonna check out the other decor though! I'm not totally knocking all their stuff, but for me, I'm going to be hesitant to buy those full size props.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
After reading some of the reviews, I will say this though. Apparently a lot of people actually like them because they are made more cheaply, because that means they can store them a lot more easy than if they were more expensive and of better quality. They don't have to worry about them getting damaged when they throw them in a box with all their other decorations. I can see their points on that, since I am definitely running out of storage space! If I were to display them outdoors, they'd actually be perfect for that.

·
Registered
13,829 Posts
The only people prop I don't recognize on their site is Mad Madeline. I like that her hands are clenched. Think the others have been sold on OT for a few years now, the vampire woman and man only more recently. I have Madame Misery. Bought her along with a few others on HF when she first came out. A number of people bought Mourning Glory. If interested in seeing personal photos from members here check back through prior year threads for OT.

GR's early props use to be made of more sturdy material but in more recent years I don't think that's been true. Think all of these prop regardless of seller have poles and stands that are very similar. The last person prop I bought from GR I think was pretty much the same as OT's--with a plastic mask type of face maybe with foam behind it. The hands on the props in general have changed too. Use to be more lifelike. I've wondered if GR had an exclusive for a few years (I know they use at advertise "exclusive" on some of theirs) and when that was up companies like OT were able to buy them but changed them slightly. OT's added some more skin tone coloring to a few of theirs to differentiate them from GRs. If you've been into Ross Dress for Less in the past few years, you'll recognize similar designed props.

I like the new "iguana" and might buy it. It's not an iguana I'm pretty sure but a frilled lizard/dragon instead. OT does run discount offers occasionally and offers free shipping quite often with a purchase of a certain amount. They do sales and clearance on items too.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I do remember people on here getting the standing ghost girl that looks very similar to Venetian Victoria. There was some differences that were preferred on the GR version but the mock version sold here was a lot cheaper. I have both Mourning Glory and Madame Misery and have to say I was more than happy with them for the price. They may have different versions now, hard to say. I never bought their male counterparts but if space and funds weren't in the picture I would consider it. The vampire Mom is not bad either. I have had excellent Customer Service the couple times I've had a problem with Oriental Trading. It is a gamble on what you may get when you order and I have received things that I wouldn't have wanted for free. I do read through all the reviews before buying anything there which usually gives you an idea of what you'll get. Yes, it is all cheap, poorly made, no quality control, overseas garbage so to speak. Problem being that so is just about everything sold anywhere nowadays.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I'm not sure what thread this question should go in, but since we are talking about these life size props (regardless of where you bought them) does anyone have any suggestions or ways to make them more stable when they're fully assembled on their stands? The minute my cats decide to play underneath their dresses (and they ALWAYS do), they topple over because any movement on them makes them even more top heavy than they already are. One of mine I tied to the bottom bannister on my staircase, but I have a couple that I'd like to display in places where I cannot secure them to anything like a wall or bannister or other fixed structure. Maybe a few bricks from Home Depot? lol

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm not sure what thread this question should go in, but since we are talking about these life size props (regardless of where you bought them) does anyone have any suggestions or ways to make them more stable when they're fully assembled on their stands?l
I find sandbags are little better than bricks. Buying at least 3-4 per prop base and putting one on each leg of the stand. If you happen to have bags of decorative river stones, those also work.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,781 Posts
I think with any prop, it just depends on what you're going to be doing with it. If it's going to be outside with other figures or in the yard behind a tombstone where it can't get major scrutiny then an $80 prop will work just as well as a $150 one. If it's going to be part of an inside display at a party where folks can get up close & personal with it, then you may need something with more detail.

But honestly, half the time we all do stuff to these figures anyway, add clothes, hair, makeup, etc., they're like a Kardashian, they need a LOT of "help" sometimes no matter what the price!

I think the only prop I've come across lately that wasn't the standard pole & 4 "feet" set up was that Mad Hatter from GR that was garbage. The prop itself was just horrid & cheap but the stand was amazing. The base was a square of particleboard & the stand was a couple of pieces of sturdy square metal that fit together really well. It was almost like something you would make yourself. It also seemed like overkill for prop & I guess that's where all the money went, into the stand, because the actual prop was worse than some of the cheapest stuff you'd find on OT. It's a shame too because the look of the face was great it was just garbage construction except for the stand.

I think I have a pic somewhere...yes, found it. I'd pay extra for a stand like this with every standing prop.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Oh that's a great idea....sand would be much better than bricks! I would need to find something to put the bags into though, because my kitties have claws and I just know there'd be sand all over my floor at some point.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I think with any prop, it just depends on what you're going to be doing with it. If it's going to be outside with other figures or in the yard behind a tombstone where it can't get major scrutiny then an $80 prop will work just as well as a $150 one. If it's going to be part of an inside display at a party where folks can get up close & personal with it, then you may need something with more detail.

But honestly, half the time we all do stuff to these figures anyway, add clothes, hair, makeup, etc., they're like a Kardashian, they need a LOT of "help" sometimes no matter what the price!

I think the only prop I've come across lately that wasn't the standard pole & 4 "feet" set up was that Mad Hatter from GR that was garbage. The prop itself was just horrid & cheap but the stand was amazing. The base was a square of particleboard & the stand was a couple of pieces of sturdy square metal that fit together really well. It was almost like something you would make yourself. It also seemed like overkill for prop & I guess that's where all the money went, into the stand, because the actual prop was worse than some of the cheapest stuff you'd find on OT. It's a shame too because the look of the face was great it was just garbage construction except for the stand.

I think I have a pic somewhere...yes, found it. I'd pay extra for a stand like this with every standing prop.

OMG yessssss!!! I recognize those feet......the Mad Hatter. And yeah, he was garbage. His entire chest plate was like a cheap kids Halloween mask that stuck on with velcro. I never even used him....he's been out in my garage ever since I got him. You're right though, his stand is pretty great.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,781 Posts
Mine came broken in spots, the chest piece was cracked & what they loosely call "clothes & hat" were what I'd expect on a $20 prop from Walmart. I knew he was going to be damaged when I saw that the outer box was damaged. I sent him back for full credit.

He had a really great face though, great expression, but it wasn't worth keeping just the face for the price. That stand & pole tho...man...that's where they put their work in.

Here he is for anyone that's wondering what we're discussing here:

The "hat"

I never understood why the thing had 5 fingers on each hand & 3 of them were glued together but each foot only had 3 toes. Go figure.

His "hair." They should've packed him with some Rogaine because there was very little there & it was bad doll ringlets too so you really couldn't do anything with it since there was so little of it. You couldn't even spread it around.

The face was great & could be even better with some tweaking but you can also see the cheap cloth "clothes" on him too:

And yes, that chest piece is the same plastic as the old Ben Cooper masks, which is why mine was cracked. Yet the rest of him was a heavier plastic.

FTR, THIS is what was shown on the Grandin Road site & paper catalog. It was one of my biggest GR disappointments ever.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
He really does look great in the GR photo. Loved his face, since it was so different than your typical skeleton.They do know how to sell a product don't they? LOL

I never returned him because I got him incredibly dirt cheap, figured I could spruce him up with other things. But then I ended up getting so many other life size props that he just stayed in the garage and hasn't come out since.

·
black light queen
2,541 Posts
omg luv the mad hatter ... too bad he's a pos, lol!

is anyone making/selling him any more?

looks like ot is going to be getting some business from me ... thx frankie's girl

been lusting over the home depot spider, but for $250 + shipping ... :-(

$40 off & free shipping with KL1720061 code :) ... so ended up getting Goth Vampire Lady, Madame Misery, Mad Madeline & Mr. & Mrs. Rot for $298.95 with the $40 discount & free shipping :) :)

amk

·
Registered
13,829 Posts
Love to see photos of your guy and gals if you set them up annamarykahn. Mad Madeline is still calling to me. So far resisting the call and kind of have been toying with the other two small dinos that HD has. It's one of those cases of if you don't buy it this year will you be able to next year.

Just spent a bucket load on HD's T-Rex so understand how the spider can come with hesitation. Spider would be easier to fit into a haunt theme than my dino. Although I will add that there are alot more spider props out there than dino ones.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,781 Posts
I haven't seen the GR Mad Hatter anywhere else & probably for a good reason.

I've a got a few things in my OT cart, mostly treat bag stuff for ToTers.

These bags & rings.

·
black light queen
2,541 Posts
Love to see photos of your guy and gals if you set them up annamarykahn. Mad Madeline is still calling to me. So far resisting the call and kind of have been toying with the other two small dinos that HD has. It's one of those cases of if you don't buy it this year will you be able to next year.

Just spent a bucket load on HD's T-Rex so understand how the spider can come with hesitation. Spider would be easier to fit into a haunt theme than my dino. Although I will add that there are alot more spider props out there than dino ones.
i probably won't set them up until later ... generally, these "expensive" full size props are set up in our porch, which is typically the last place that gets decorated as it is a "staging" area where props get dumped when removed from storage before i decide where they'll go in the yard ...

i'd probably "bite" on the hd spider if shipping was free

i'm at the point in my yard/porch haunt where i have enough & am only getting stuff that's, in my opinion, really kewl ... ended up getting 2 hd horses last year, used 1, only after i had modified it so that it was standing on its hind legs sort of like it just bucked off it's rider ... i also painted it with wild fire fluorescent white paint to make it more visible in the dark with my black lights

amk

·
Registered
13,829 Posts
i probably won't set them up until later ... generally, these "expensive" full size props are set up in our porch, which is typically the last place that gets decorated as it is a "staging" area where props get dumped when removed from storage before i decide where they'll go in the yard ...

i'd probably "bite" on the hd spider if shipping was free

i'm at the point in my yard/porch haunt where i have enough & am only getting stuff that's, in my opinion, really kewl ... ended up getting 2 hd horses last year, used 1, only after i had modified it so that it was standing on its hind legs sort of like it just bucked off it's rider ... i also painted it with wild fire fluorescent white paint to make it more visible in the dark with my black lights

amk

Kind of same here. I set up halloween during the daytime that day for the most part. Sometimes will physically figure out placement on a few things and run some lights early but otherwise I know what props I'll be using (planned out on paper) and then stuff gets unboxed on patio that morning and set up. Boxes go in garage and after halloween ToTing, gets carried into garage so it's out of way and then over next few days repacked. I do sometimes pull props out when I first get them but not always. I should always check to remove batteries but haven't. So understand. If you use Mad Madeline this year please take a photo if you can. Our photos are always better than the site ones. Chances are she will be available next year too.

Regarding HD items, I think I remember your horse mod...was it with the sort of braided mane from jute cord? My HD T-Rex didn't have free home delivery and actually picking up at the store wasn't all that bad. We inspected there and as it had damage didn't have to sign for it and they took care of storing it and returning it when the replacement arrived. Otherwise would have been more of a hassle for me I think. Being so large in the box he was put piece by piece in the car along with the collasped box and I'll just have to seal up the box bottom and repack so not so bad getting him home. I too am down to things I really fall in love with and apart from the last 2 dinos HD has, think that will be it for me for the year unless Mad Madeline gets bought during a sale at OT.

·
black light queen
2,541 Posts
ghostofspooky,

no, my horse didn't have a mane ... although that's a gr8 idea ... i didn't post any pics specifically of the horse, but he can be seen in some of my videos =>https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmHjtg9XUQnVRCr_VKozXOA

generally stuff goes out in the yard starting labor day weekend ... just a few things go out to remind the tots ... not that they'd forget if they've been here before :)

every weekend or so some more stuff start getting out, but the "home stretch" starts about 2 weeks out ... the porch is the last, but stuff does get put out there a couple days before ... the outdoor projector(s) will only go out the afternoon of, unless the weather doesn't cooperate, but we've been fortunate since we've moved here ... had some close calls though, when 1 year the week or more before we got a ton or rain ... rained pretty much every day ... but it cleared up about noon on the 31st :)

amk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts