Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Beware of the wand!
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, what are some "recycled" items you've used or frequently use in your prop building and/or decorating? (e.g., milk jug for head structure) Every time I look at a unique thingamajig or container, I wonder what it could be used to create . . .

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hello GF... I sometimes use 2 liter soda bottles. They are great for making the torso on things/props that are the size of children.. Also, the neck of the bottle can be the neck of the thing you are making..Also, aluminum foil works well and is very versatile..of course you will need to mache, clay or latex the item.

Here is something I made with this method.. Made the head out of clay, glued/clayed that on the bottle, snot rag mache, painted and done

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I have Spring & Fall Cleanup days in my area.
This is a great resource to not only recycle items headed to the landfill. It also saves me money to spend on other supplies, etc. Over the years I've salvaged: outdoor lighting, outdated light fixtures, chandeliers, scrap wood- plywood & 2x4's, mirrors (both broken & intact), & many wooden doors to help extend my haunt.

·
Emperor of Candlewood
4,330 Posts
Hello GF... I sometimes use 2 liter soda bottles. They are great for making the torso on things/props that are the size of children.. Also, the neck of the bottle can be the neck of the thing you are making..Also, aluminum foil works well and is very versatile..of course you will need to mache, clay or latex the item.

Here is something I made with this method.. Made the head out of clay, glued/clayed that on the bottle, snot rag mache, painted and done

Wow that is cool and was made from a two liter bottle as well! :eek:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Large sheets or cardboard for the walls in our haunted laboratory.
Packing styrofoam in odd shapes for details/accents in above lab. Also use plastic packing pieces for the same.
Guts from old televisions and electronics for details on mock up lab instruments
Leftover construction material - sheetrock, 2x4s, etc - for haunt structures.

·
the horror up North ...Eh
2,988 Posts
for this I used recycled Styrofoam that was from an industrial dumpsite free recyle paper tubes from carpet and material rolls , old computer key board for kobs and buttons ,went to a restore building and supply company to get the decorative crown molding for about $3, candleabras from a salvation army $4.00,dollar store cheibs $2, and some decorative lawn edging from dolar store $3 and some dollar store skulls $1 and some scrap paint all for under $20 probably could sell for $1500 or more ive been told

·
Beware of the wand!
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ChrisW - I've bustd open many old alarm clocks with cogs, sprockets and springs for parts in my Steampunk hats and jewelry, but now you've got me wanted to accidentally "drop" some of these old TV's laying around here. I wonder what kinds of goodies they hold inside!

ihauntu - And the organ? WOW! Does it actully function? That is incredible.

As I've been cleaning out and organizing my garage, I've come across so many interesting odds and ends. Of course every milk jug and tin can I empty while cooking I autmatically wonder what it could be used for.

·
The Black Unicorn
1,348 Posts
I use styrofoam coolers from work that my meds are shipped in, cardboard tubes from a friend of mine that is a sign maker, foil, bubble wrap, drink jugs, cardboard for walls, dumperster diving I find allot of items, like my tricycle I found for the jigsaw guy,newspaper, drink cartons, just about anything I come across can be used for something, and most of my friends are on the look out for stuff, I've got them trained to eye things. Its the thrill of the hunt....lol

·
Beware of the wand!
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I came across a thread recently where someone was using Fed Ex boxes to make tombsones. I've got a slieu of Priority Mail boxes that could work as well.

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
Haha. ihauntu I just read your undername tag. Being a Canadian, made me laugh a bit. I like seeing other Canucks on the site. And fairly close to me (I'm at the Queen City, in SK) so it helps relieve some of the pain I feel trying to haunt in the cooler part of the fall. And the rest of the year temperatures, and the obstacles that come with in the winter. A bit off topic, but I'll redeem myself shortly.

I used old pallets free from next door where I worked temporarily, to build my monster in a box. They were great as they were aged, worn and dirty, and put into a crate shape really added to it, instead of bleached plain white wood. I used it for a warning sign as well. I also made the top of a toe-pincher to use as a ground breaker. I can see the boards being used as part of (or on its own) to make a PVC graveyard fence. Or a badly peaten up picket fence (with gaps and boards not totally upright, chipped, broken and worn). I've seen someone make window coverings out of them as well, I think using some strong neodyminum magnets to temporarily hang them over the windows without damaging the exterior. That's basically the green part to my haunt, so far. I only started using the pallet wood in 2010 and I'm sure I'll continue to find ways to use it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I went to a bicycle repair shop the other day. I asked about their less than perfect rims that they are getting rid of. I'm building an Axeworthy ghost this year (the ghost that runs around on a cable through the cemetery). They usually do have a pile of rims that they have to junk every month. Unfortunately they got rid of them the day before I showed up. I'll try again next month.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts