Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so someone just posted this awesome page with a video to my facebook news feed.
The moment I saw it, I thought...hmmm, how can I include this for Halloween next year?!?!?!

It shows a cardboard dinosaur who's head follows you as you move, giving the appearance that he's looking at you and watching you walk. similar idea to the Haunted Mansion busts that follows you as you move, but the best part is that only the dino's HEAD moves and follows you.

the video, after some time, gives away the optical illusion and the writer was kind enough to give you a the 'blueprint' to his dinosaur to cut out and to it yourself.

link is here:
http://gawker.com/amazing-t-rex-illusion-lives-up-to-every-one-of-its-p-1489087543

My thoughts: how AWESOME would this be to line a hall or walkway with a similar figure?? Get rid of the cartoony figure and and replace it with something scary....
Everyone that walked the path would think that the _______ was watching just them.

ideas??'
thoughts??
I've got a few months to get this down! :)

·
Ghouls Rule
2,580 Posts
I really like the concept, I just cant wrap my head around how to convert the idea to something more spooky. If you figure it out, let us know! :) Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
875 Posts
Have one in my hand as I write this (left hand). lol
The idea of using this technique to make something larger and more impressive did cross my mind.
I think I know how to do it, I just have to decide what would make the most sense to do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The video he makes a really large dino.
so I built one of the ones that was in the link as soon as I could...

It's been sitting on my desk at work looking at me all day.
tossing ideas around...the body can be anything, I think...since it's the head that needs to be concave.
so the head should be of something that extends out...dog, bird, ???
werewolf?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had one of these at work about 4 years ago and had the same thought, it would be awesome for a haunt or to top a monument. The problem I found was that it only worked for about 50% of the people who tried it, and it has to be lit a special way (which probably wouldn't gel with haunt lighting). If you look in the video it is lit from below, and when the camera pans around it shatters the illusion. You would have to keep it visible from that tiny viewable section where the illusion is at its peak. Just my two cents. Not impossible, but not easy.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Dragon in a cave, or slightly recessed in another facade opening where the viewing angles (and lighting) can be controlled ?

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts